Sway Bar install

-

BLOW-DART

Reaction score
Going to start on a Front Sway bar install on my 64 barracuda today. i think the system i have is from addco. looks like ill be welding some tabs on the k frame and drilling one hole, i have a non sway bar car so the end links will be bolting to the lca shock mount. im going to take pictures and put up a whole thread on it. if anyone out there has any tips im all ears!

"if it doesnt get less than 10mpg, its not a muscle car"

I'd like to see the thread/pics. I've got the same sway bar & car. As I recall, the instructions say to mount it to the holes that are already there, but they're not there.

I wouldn't think you would have to weld anything...??? But then again, I know nothing about Early A-bodies...On a 67-72 there are usually pre drilled holes, and you just drill one more and bolt the bracket to the front of the K-frame, not having to weld...But anyways, I am looking forward to your pics and install write up...

Not sure what he plans to weld but the instructions have the sway bar brackets bolting to the K member with one bolt each. I figured that when I did mine I'd see how solid it felt & add another bracket for each mount to bolt to if I felt it needed it. Don't know if I'd weld it because it might need to be removeable. Won't know until I get there.

It sounds similar to what I have on my 69 Valiant. It's a low hanging son of a buck, too.
There is a better mounting bracket available from Energy Suspension that mounts it alot better than that single bolt deal.

I'd like to see the thread/pics. I've got the same sway bar & car. As I recall, the instructions say to mount it to the holes that are already there, but they're not there.

yea if you had a factory sway bar car it would have wholes....but not too many factory sway bar car owners are doing this install.

It sounds similar to what I have on my 69 Valiant. It's a low hanging son of a buck, too.
There is a better mounting bracket available from Energy Suspension that mounts it alot better than that single bolt deal.

i have seen some nice mounts, but i dont want to wait to order more parts or spend the money. i think i have it figured out to where i can flip flop the design and get the bar higher than the bottom of the K frame, might be close to the harmonic balancer but it looks like it should work. going to attempt to get the best pictures i can and post them for all to see.

The tabs wouldnt have to be welded, they go on the lower shock bolt. Check out this page of Tonys thread (Vic Storm). IT has some nice shots on the tabs

The tabs wouldnt have to be welded, they go on the lower shock bolt. Check out this page of Tonys thread (Vic Storm). IT has some nice shots on the tabs

ya i saw that those will bolt right to the shock mounts. but for the k frame mounts the kit came with an L bracket that can be welded(or drilled and bolted for that matter) to the bottom of the K frame to create a second whole for the clamp mounts to bolt to. I should be able to clear all this up with detailed photos tomorrow.

-
Back