SWAY BAR MOUNTS 71 VS 73 Lower Arms

-

Emeraldart

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I understand the lower control arms for the 66-72 and 73-76 are very similar with the exception of the sway bar mounts if they were factory installed.
Centered on the 73-76 and end mounted on 66-72.

My question is will the 73-76 lower control arms (installed on a 71 A-body) with 71 k member, will the 73-76 sway bar fit the earlier car? (1971)

Thanks in advance for your help James

Well James, the 73 and later sway bar will not fit on your 71 K-frame. The later style K-frame has a pass through hole in it where the sway bar goes through and the sway bar tabs are welded on the top of the control arms. On the earlier style like your 71 the sway bar mounts under the front of the K-frame and the tabs on the control arms are welded on the bottom. You will either need to find the correct earlier setup or change your K-frame to the later style spool mount with the pass through hole. The included pics should help you identify the difference. The rusty stuff in the pics is the later setup and the painted items are the earlier stuff. Hope this helps, Geof

Attachments

• 100_2923.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_2924.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_2925.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_2926.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 159
Geof,

First, thank you very much for your very detailed description and answers to my problem.

The photos are most helpful!

I have to replace my 71 K member as it is a slant six version and a 360 is being installed.

I already have the 73 lower control arms with the sway bar mounts.

So are you saying that if I find a 73-76, V8 K member I can use the 73 lower control arm with the 73 sway bar and everything should fit?

Thanks once again for all of your help!

Much appreciated!

James

Geof,

First, thank you very much for your very detailed description and answers to my problem.

The photos are most helpful!

I have to replace my 71 K member as it is a slant six version and a 360 is being installed.

I already have the 73 lower control arms with the sway bar mounts.

So are you saying that if I find a 73-76, V8 K member I can use the 73 lower control arm with the 73 sway bar and everything should fit?

Thanks once again for all of your help!

Much appreciated!

James

Yes, then the swaybar will fit.

-
Back