Sway bar tab removal on LCA ?

-

luckymopar416

Reaction score
Hello everyone I've got a pair of LCA s from a 69 small bolt drum brake set up and the arms are bent and pretty much junk . I was wondering if I could grind off the tabs (I have the tools to remove the tabs ) and re-weld them on to another set of LCA . The welds look like they will come off with plenty of material to re-weld . Has anyone ever tried this and is it really worth the time ? Just looking to get some imput as I'm re-building my entire front end and plan on removing the entire K-frame and motor in one shot . This will be the 3rd time removing an entire K so I'm not really worried about that , just the removal of the sway bar tabs and strength of the reweld
Thanks
John

Some of the aftermarket swaybars have a pizzy little piece of angle stuck onto the shock bolt. The factory piece is 3 sided. Weld it on 3 sides . It wont go anywhere.

Hell yeah....I'd definitely do it. Even if you need to grind the hell outta the old bent up LCA's in order to save the brackets.....no biggie! I remember a while back, some guy (I think on Ebay) was reproducing them.....totally cool, but I don't think anyone is now, as far as I know. LCA's with swaybar tabs are worth some $$, but without them.....almost worthless. And it's so easy to find nice clean LCA's without the tabs.....just sad.

Hell yeah....I'd definitely do it. Even if you need to grind the hell outta the old bent up LCA's in order to save the brackets.....no biggie! I remember a while back, some guy (I think on Ebay) was reproducing them.....totally cool, but I don't think anyone is now, as far as I know. LCA's with swaybar tabs are worth some $$, but without them.....almost worthless. And it's so easy to find nice clean LCA's without the tabs.....just sad.
I have done this exact thing on a set of arms for my 69 Dart. I was going to grind them off but when I started I realized how much work it was going to be , so I had the mechanic at work cut them off with a torch. Since the arms are junk anyways just cut them off with plenty of material and grind what is left ,than weld them on your arms. It will be a whole lot easier this way:thumbup:

Hotchkis sell repro's new for $29.95/pr. They are real close, BUT they are not 100% exact copies.

I bent a sway bar 66-72 LCA on my 68 Barracuda and had a buddy grind it off and reweld it on another A-arm. I bet 98% of the people couldn't ID which side LCA was switched looking 12" away from it.

I'd grind it off. If you torch it, you'll still have to grind it. Just use a little patience, skill, and the right tools.

Some of the aftermarket swaybars have a pizzy little piece of angle stuck onto the shock bolt. The factory piece is 3 sided. Weld it on 3 sides . It wont go anywhere.
Yes , They are factory 3 sided , welded on 3 sides now . I thank you guys for the info I'll try to get some pics of the removal and re weld
Thanks
John

"Hotchkis sell repro's new for $29.95/pr. They are real close, BUT they are not 100% exact copies."

Sorry to jump in here but a follow up question to autoxcuda's reply.

In regards to the Hotchkis aftermarket sway bar tabs you mentioned. Where are they on their website? I can't find them or have missed it. I assume they will work with the factory sway bar set up and the 73 and up LCA's?

Thanks, Mike

"Hotchkis sell repro's new for $29.95/pr. They are real close, BUT they are not 100% exact copies."

Sorry to jump in here but a follow up question to autoxcuda's reply.

In regards to the Hotchkis aftermarket sway bar tabs you mentioned. Where are they on their website? I can't find them or have missed it. I assume they will work with the factory sway bar set up and the 73 and up LCA's?

Thanks, Mike

Hotchkis link: http://www.hotchkis.net/early_mopar_control_arm_bracket.html

-
Back