sway bar ? which one?

-

midlife89

Reaction score
I've got a72 dart w/ a 73 and up K frame,I think,it has spool type motor mounts.I've decided to get a sway bar.Should I get one for a 72 or a 73? Is there a difference other than the style of the motor mounts?

Get the 73^ sway bar. It goes thru the k frame instead of hanging under it. Much cleaner install. You may have to get 73^ lower control arm with the correct sway bar tabs if you can't fab some on your existing lower control arms. The tabs are in a different place than the pre 73 LCA's.

Forget the Addco bar, it has inferior mounting hardware that tends to loosen and rip out of K member over time, like 3000 miles, and weird end link angles.

What I will be doing on the wife's 73 dart is adding the Hotchkis bars.
www.hotchkis.net/

This will allow me to progressively add parts, that are designed to work together, eventually getting the full Hotchkis TVS system under it.

Was looking at Summit at the 55905,Is this a retrofit or factory replacement.My control arms don't have any tabs.It looks like it comes w/shock bolt tabs but doesn't say in the description.I might run up to Summit tomorrow night and pick it up.Luckily I'm only about 30mi from there.

Forget the Addco bar, it has inferior mounting hardware that tends to loosen and rip out of K member over time, like 3000 miles, and weird end link angles.

i agree! go with a Firm Feel unit. they make proven,excellent parts.

A friend and I took a ride to Summit and picked up a Hellwig bar.My friend,who has a addco bar was impressed,as was I with the quality of the hardware.The price was more than reasonable,140 bucks,plus I used my Summit bucks,so the bar ended up costing me 90 bucks.Can't wait to start wrenching after work tomorrow.It's supposed to get up to 50 by Thurs/Fri and be sunny,so I can wait to take it for a little ride.Between the bar and adding the shim to the power steering valve.I'm hoping to see a improvement in the handling and road feel.I'll let you know.

Had nice day here yesterday and supposed to be nice today too.Took it for a ride and can't believe the difference the bar and valve mod made.I put a cheap reman box in it and I thought it was junk,but it firmed right up.But I do have 1 question,can I add more of a shim in the valve?Will thise screw up my pump?I would like the power steering to feel more like power assit.Eventually I'm going change the box to one from Steer n Gear since they're only a couple hrs from here.I figured I'd take a ride and save the shipping.

-
Back