Switching from Gas to Alcohol

-

Woodie

Take-off EH!
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback from people that switched from race fuel to alcohol. Current set up is a 416cui with Ross 13.0:1 with Eddy heads and an M1. This combo is in a 3100lb "A" Body with a 29x12x15 with caltracs

I have read some differing things in regards to getting comfortable making the switch.

Install a lean out valve to warm it up quickly or be prepared to go thru alot of fuel.
I went to alcohol on our new car.
Went with a Holley 950HP on my W2 414. It ran quicker with a friends custom built 1050 Dominater, but was easier to drive with the 950.
We did it for consistincy.
First race out, we dialed it 6.40 at 10:30AM & never changed the dial all day.
The day ended at 10:30PM in the winners circle.
Weather was in the 50's, & used most of our fuel trying to get heat in the engine.

I'm also going to alchol on our other car as well.

The lean-out valve is basicly a controled vacuum leak. This was what guys were using that always run alcohol.

Starting it in cold weather can be a challenge, I had my son pump it to the floor 3 times, then I poured in gas into the primary's, then I had my son crank the engine for maybe 2 seconds & then hit the ignition switch.
No problems doing this, & once it was started & warmed, it would start off alcohol the rest of the day.

I'm sure there is other people with better info on this, I'm a newby with it also.

I switch 2 alky 2 years ago and never looked back,yes during cold weather have a sqirt can ready to quirk the carb,alky don't like cold weather,a block heater heater helps,or a oil heater to put heat in the motor,rons fuel injection or killer rons has primers,should leave the line at 170 degree,return to the trailer at 200 degree,as alky likes to turn the oil milky,so if the oil is hotter than 180 that helps,its runs 20 degrees cooler than gas,has more torque and you will notice better ets,runs consistent as the air don't effect it like gas,theres racing forums you can go to like yellow bullet,i learned a lot from forums and asking

-
Back