Tank you very much: advice please

-

Gadabout

Reaction score
So, the restorer wants to replace the gas tank right off the bat, sight unseen, because it is original to 1960 and, he says, "probably has bad interior rust." Well, when I was a recent college grad, my '67 Dart could not hold more than five gallons at a time before it dribbled through the seam. I did end up replacing it myself with a pair of vice grips in a back alley in February. Miserable job. But the question, this tank doesn't leak. Should I just replace it without further investigation? Seems a bit extreme.

Not leaking doesn't necessarily mean a clean interior of the tank. Only a visual inspection (remove and eyeball it, or an inspection camera through the filler or sending unit holes).
Personally, I would reuse the original if it is structurally sound; and I'd especially reuse the original pickup/sender if it is in good shape, or have it rebuilt. Aftermarket senders are generally not well matched to Mopar tank requirements- they function, but accuracy suffers. And save/reuse your original lock ring, most aftermarket ones are too thin and don't seal well.
Moral of the story: use the original equipment when you can.

Today's fuels are more corrosive than fuel from 'yester-years. This is surely a prophylactic measure, that it'll avoid potential issues in the future. The cost of removing, cleaning and inspecting the old tank will exceed the cost of a replacement tank for sure.

It's not clear to me, - if its a 67, the tank is unique with a single transverse strap, may be hard to find.
Good luck regardless.

open the fuel line that supplies the carb from the fuel pump. Pull the coil wire and use the fuel pump to pump the gas into a bucket. Rinse and repeat...LOL but really this will allow you to see what's in the bucket. Pump out every bit the pump will pickup. If it's bad the worst rust and sediment will be at the bottom. This will give you a reasonable assessment of what is going on in the tank before dropping the tank and cleaning or replacing. You might luck out. If you are paying someone else replace the tank.

There is logic in replacing the tank sight unseen if the car has been sitting decades with the cap off. They are not expensive and it would be cheap insurance for everything down stream.

THAT BEING SAID...

my 67 Dart sat in my mom and dads garage with 1/2 tank of So Cal 2013 gas in it for 4 years, not started once. I expected to have to replace the tank, fuel lines, fuel pump and rebuild the carb . fast forward to the day I got it home. a squirt of starter fluid and it fired up and kept running.

years later I had to replace the filler neck seal so I dropped the tank. And to my surprise it was clean a whistle, even the filter sock was clean. there are a hand full of rust spots but nothing bigger than a dime.

moral to my story...

Have the shop pull the tank being careful not to damage it and inspect it yourself. maybe is salvageable maybe not but then you will know for sure.

same thing goes for the fuel lines I just pulled the fuel line off of a 67 Dart that had sat in a field since 1976. I assumed it was trash so I cut the sender end off. after I got it out it was in excellent shape at least on the outside.

Would finding a fuel tank for a 1960 A body (I think that's the car he's referring to) be difficult?

Remove fuel tank, if it’s not leaking now remove sender and pour in one gallon of clean washed pea gravel strap the tank to a tractor wheel and drive a bit,remove, empty and flush clean.If it does not leak,go with it. I’ve done this many times mostly on boat tanks.If it’s got a lot of varnish in it add a gallon of mineral spirits.

i'd be more concerned about actually finding a tank for a 60, and if i was able to how much it would cost .

pull it, drain it and inspect. it might be fine. or you might need to boil it out or clean it by another method.

Find a new restorer.
This guy is making work without good reason and wants to buy parts on your dime. Two strikes in my book.
Save the money and time for the things that will actually need fixing.

Heck these days one can 'look' inside a tank with scope.
Be real careful removing the fuel sender. Check the brass contact that runs on the resistance wire is intact. Change the sock filter if it needs. If its cruddy maytbe the tank should be cleaned as others have said. If it the filter is clean, then take a look inside if you're still concerned.

Tank you all, yes it is a 1960 A Body, as pictured in the Avitar to the left. Finding a NOS may be a trick- are the tanks interchangeable for a few decades, or is this a one off? I take it there is not particular way to seal the interior of the tank? The guy is somewhat of an icon among classic car enthusiasts, here in El Paso. He may be thorough to a fault, and wishes not to send me down the road with a gas tank ready to come apart like an old water heater, would be my best guess.

I replaced the tank on my '64 because of a bit of a dent, and like you said....."just because". When i got it down and out i was quite surprised to find it looking a hundred times better looking inside than the outside did.

1712290288668.png

Has anyone tried this stuff? Is it applied to the exterior? I'm Googling around for NOS 1960 A Frame replacement tanks, and nothing is turning up. Will a later model Valiant or Dart tank fit? Where do you find these things?

I'm thinking any good light source will illuminate enough of the interior to see if there is any real issue with rust. As far as sediment, the tank can be dropped and cleaned out, I'd think. I've got to replace the sending unit, anyway, and that should provide an adequate window, I'd guess.

Because it's an old leaded gas car, it may have no rust at all. Leaded gas coated the tank. Look inside first.

-
Back