Tapered or flanged axles?

-

Moparbaker

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 60-62 Valiant & 61-62 Lancer had tapperd or flanged drive shafts?
If tapperd; I would'nt mind pictures...

U.S. built cars used a ball and trunnion driveshaft, slip yokes didn't appear until 1966.
OIP.4yXpMulebpfx1nmKW_A5wQHaEM?w=317&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

Maybe @65dartcharger can shed some light on whether the ones in Sweden differed at all.

Internationally-built vehicles were often required to use a certain percentage of locally-sourced parts, so there may be some variations from what we see in the U.S.

S O R R Y ! ! ! I mean axel shafts...
The knockeddowns in Sweden used all US parts Proffesor Fate.
So does anyone have pictures, preferably with & whithout brake parts?

S O R R Y ! ! ! I mean axel shafts...
The knockeddowns in Sweden used all US parts Proffesor Fate.
So does anyone have pictures, preferably with & whithout brake parts?
Go to How-To articles in the top header. I'm sure there is something there to help.
For B-bodies Only also has info and pictures.

Well since I know what kinda axel I have now, it's got 10 inch drums, I wonder if someone else has bought wheelcylinders & shoes & what they might be called as in brand & numbers?
Maby I ought to start a new thread about that..?

Does anyone know if the 60-62 Valiant & 61-62 Lancer had tapperd or flanged drive shafts?
If tapperd; I would'nt mind pictures...
A-bodies all used flanged axle shafts. Tapered axle shafts (the ones with a keyway and axle nut) were used in the other models up through 1964. After '64 all Mopars used flanged axle shafts. '60-65 A-bodies only had a 7 1/4 rear end as standard. The 8 3/4 came out in late '65 for the '66 model year as an option, and in some cases, a dealer replacement for the earlier models.

The '60-2 models used a different bearing than the later A-bodies. The whole rear end will swap though.

A-bodies all used flanged axle shafts. Tapered axle shafts (the ones with a keyway and axle nut) were used in the other models up through 1964. After '64 all Mopars used flanged axle shafts. '60-65 A-bodies only had a 7 1/4 rear end as standard. The 8 3/4 came out in late '65 for the '66 model year as an option, and in some cases, a dealer replacement for the earlier models.
Thank you. I was hoping sooner or later someone would get it right. lol

I've parted out many '63 Darts and Valiants, but, never saw one with the '60-2 axle bearings in it. I suppose they may not have ended on the exact model year, but, I just never saw a '63 like that. One was a Sept '62 build date.

Last edited:
Doesn't look Mopar to me. Are those axle nuts on the ends of the axle shafts? What is the bolt pattern of the wheels?

Doesn't look Mopar to me. Are those axle nuts on the ends of the axle shafts? What is the bolt pattern of the wheels?
I see that now. The offset liiks like a Ford out of a Broncco or Ranger. LOL

-
Back