tbi to carb with a 340

-
Reaction score
I know this probably isn't the right place but I didn't know where else to go I have an 88 dodge ram v6 with tbi I'm putting a 340 4 barrel in it. I was wondering how to go about the distributer and wireing everything up any help would be great thanks

doing something like that now....removing tbi from 318 on 88 dodge ram and going to a carb and electronic ignition...

I removed the tbi and intake this morning.....along with all the other crap in front of the engine...alternator...ac compressor...and dumping the smog pump

what electronic iginition are you using mopar?

i am using one of the two wire HEI distributors....

I'm not sure what it is for a distributer. It came out of my brothers duster it has two wires. I was wondering if I splice that in where the other distributer plugs in will it mess the computer up

Post a photo of the dist with the cap off..........

Stock dizzy is probably Hall effect like mine was. The voltage regulator is a part of the computer for a heads up. I'm not sure how your going about the wiring, but I thought you may find that to be a helpful bit of info.

you have to realize...that the computer controls every engine function...ignition...fuel pump...and charging system....

you can bypass the computer to change things.....but it takes some rewiring...

OK, I got the photos. This surely is not the TBI distributor, is it? This must have been out of the 340? What you have here is a "normal" Mopar breakerless distributor

Attachments

• dist.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 154
  • IMAG0475.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 140
Do you want a tbi distributor....i got one out of the 318 ...but you will need to fix the wires I cut...LOL

Just to be clear the OP sent me those as he could not get them to post.

That distributor will work fine. Easiest wiring for it would be a GM 8-pin HEI module and its external coil. Many posts. Even easier would be a new "ready-to-run" HEI distributor ($45). Many posts on both. If you want to stay Mopar, the 70's electronic ignition, but you requires more wiring and a ballast resistor.

-
Back