TBI Wiring Question

-

A38Valiant

Collector Of Rust
Reaction score
I have a 1991 Dakota with the weak suck 3.9 TBI engine, and would like to swap the TBI 318 from a 1991 full size donor truck into it. Question is what wiring dilemmas am I going to run into?

Also wondering about adding an E-brock Torker 340 intake, Holley Pro-Jection throttle body, and some dual exhaust. What cam should I consider? Truck is 2wd and will be a parts chaser with attitude, has the A500 trans, and will have 4.10 cogs. I'm new to injection when it comes to anything non-stock. Any and all help is much appreciated.

When you say Holley Pro-jection, are you talking about just interfacing the Holley TB to your computer?

Bear in mind there is an 'early' and 'late' series of the Holley TB and my understanding is that the early injectors are no longer available. The can be id'd by round top black electrical plugs. The later ones sort of plug into the sides of the top

Also, Holley seems to be proprietary. I bought a Holley MADE TB off an OEM GM application, and the injector plugs are DIFFERENT between Holley and OEM. If Holley (aftermarket) is the same as some OEM, I'm not aware of what

If you land a genuine TB out of the old Holley Pro-Jection system, IT HAS NO IAC. Idle is set by a screw like a carb. The OEM replacement (Holley made) TBs DO have IAC

Do NOT screw with the old Holley (2D, etc) computer, the one with the 5 adjustments out the end. They are pretty much junk.)

My ramblings:

Was originally going to re-work this Ferd system and use the parts. Might yet "some day."

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=198603

I actually "started" by falling into a Pro-Jection 2D REAL cheap, and later, a Commander 950 REAL cheap:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=209528

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970081758

You can still download much or all of the info on the Pro-Jection and Commander systems. THESE DOCUMENTS are a great reference on how systems work and how to set them up

Here:

http://www.holley.com/TechService/Library.asp

Kind of guessing, but could be a direct swap from the 3.9L to 318 TBI, if the connectors are the same. Since the same year engines, they might match (injectors, TPS, IAC). The 318 had 2 injectors. If the 3.9L is just one injector, you should be able to parallel the 2 wires to the 2nd injector, and hopefully won't overload the drive transistor.

I have used Holley Pro-jection (2 injectors) on my 65 Newport for years. I have tried both control boxes and think the early big box is best. Even better is probably the earliest "by MSD" boxes which have rugged Weatherpak connectors. A crimped wire pulled out of the connector on my later box which has prettier bulkhead connector, but flimsy. The little 2Di box can run hot and stop pulsing the injectors. In my case, once when sitting on the front seat in the sun. It also acted funny twice one morning (cool) at exactly the same spot on the freeway where there was road construction. I suspect a strong radio messed it up. Both times it apparently flooded the engine with gas, which then blew open the muffler. After getting beyond the site, it ran fine again. With both boxes, I always seem to fool with the knobs, even with O2 feedback, otherwise it idles too rich or lean.

Your factory fuel controller is probably better. A Pro-jection throttle body should work with that, if you can adapt the connectors. With a 318, you probably don't need IAC since I doubt the AC compressor will load the engine much. The Pro-jection solenoid opens the throttle more when cold, like 80's carburetors. The Pro-jection TBI was designed for a GM manifold (3 bolts). I don't know if it was ever factory, but Holley sold the Pro-jection throttle body alone as an upgrade to the GM factory TBI (Rochester?). The later have a different looking connector (translucent & open). I grabbed the two injectors from a Dodge TBI RAM Van (4-bolt Holley) last time at the JY, since they look identical to mine, with the same black "round top" connector that Pro-jection injectors use. The latter run ~$80 ea on ebay. I'll try to report back if my Pro-jection connector doesn't fit.

Hoping to swap the engine and probably the computer from the wrecked fullsize into the Dak. Was pondering the Pro-Jection throttle body simply because I have it. It is a 2 barrel and came with a bunch of carbs I bought at a public auction, and is bolted to the adapter to put it on a 4 barrel intake. All I got of the Pro-Jection system is the throttle body and adapter plate. Knowing that the TBI 318s were never very impressive, I was thinking an upgrade may help a lot.

-
Back