TC with engine braking?

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
I'm used to TC's that don't provide much engine braking at all. But having driven a late model Challenger with auto it has the feature in manual shift mode that it provides engine braking; the RPM's drop only about 150 rpm when you back off, so it behaves pretty closely to a manual in that aspect. And I had an '85 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.2L diesel with a 350 3 speed auto that would provide engine braking if you manually downshifted to 2nd. That was a totally non-electrnoic trans.

So is there a TC around for a 904 that will do the same? And how are TC's changed to provide engine braking?

Tx in advance!

I could be mistaken, but I don't "think" the TC provides the braking but rather a valve body with low band apply.

A good 9.5" converter like mine from PTC will loose goose flash stall at 3500-3700, cruise tight as a virgin cantelope, and engine brake well. Cost me $525 to the door. Best of both worlds.

No off the shelf crap like B&M, or TCI.

Just a thought. Make sure you mention to whoever build your converter to make engine breaking a priority, Dynamic, PTC, Ultimate. Good stuff right there.

Well, I found reference to an 'electronically modulated torque converter clutch' in the new Challengers' A/T..... so that is what is going on. Probably not an option in a 904 though!

So it is off to call/write to some mfr's on what we want. Since we want a lower stall speed and probably large-ish TC, hopefully this is doable. And PD74, I think I will ask for engine 'braking', not 'breaking'... LOL

Bad Sport, what is meant by a low band apply? (I am not an A/T guy....)

Engine braking in drive has to be through the TC.

Back in the 80s, when I worked in a driveline rebuilding shop, the line next to me, was rebuilding convertors. I watched them out of the corner of my eye, as I went about my business. I saw them cut open TCs, replace washers with bearings, and modify the fins of the turbines. One of the things they did was carefully bend those fins over to a new angle. Sometimes they would swap out the stators. They were building modified stall TCs from OEM units. I bought one of those. It was called a Dirt-Jerker. It stalled about 400 to 600 rpm higher than stock. It gave the old teener a good punch off the line. But with 2.76s, there was very little engine breaking in drive.Drop it into 2nd, and there it was. I concluded at that time, that the low driveshaft rpm was insufficient to drive the TC in reverse against those modified fins.No biggy I thought.
Some years later the body on that 73 Dart was done.I pulled the engine and tranny, put them into storage, and junked the body.
Some 10 years later, I resurrected that combo, and stuffed it into my FormulaS clone for a winter motor.But now with 3.55s.Well, Surprise! Now I had engine braking in Drive.
At the same time, that teener found itself wearing TTI headers,those dual 3 inch pipes, and a little TQ 4bbl.The stall seemed to be up from what I remembered.I put some 340 or 360 valve-springs on her and let her buck. That was a very fun winter combo.

Point of story is this; On a cheap TC, engine braking seems to be lackadaisical until you put some driveshaft rpm through it.

Well, I found reference to an 'electronically modulated torque converter clutch' in the new Challengers' A/T..... so that is what is going on. Probably not an option in a 904 though!

The 904 will provide some engine braking if you run a tight converter and lower gears but it's not gonna do what the new Chally does cause the 904 is old technology vs. new tech on the Chally

Bad Sport, what is meant by a low band apply? (I am not an A/T guy....)

Low band apply means the valve body applies the rear (low/reverse) band when you pull the shifter down into low. All stock torqueflite valve bodies do it. Some aftermarket valve bodies don't have low band apply. They eliminate it to make the 1-2 shift quicker/firmer

-
Back