Teflon sealant for AN fittings?

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
I've never used any on the few I have and haven't had much trouble, but I am putting a bunch more on the car today and don't want to be chasing leaks.
What do you guys use that I cand find at a local parts store?

Last edited:
You shouldn't need any sealant on AN fittings. I'd put them together dry. Just make sure the mating surfaces of the flare are nice and clean.

I had never used any but the instructions on my carb inlet suggested it.

Thanks guys.

You never put any kind of 'sealant' on AN fittings! Only place pipe dope, or Teflon, has any place is on pipe threads. And another word of advice: do not use 'Teflon tape' on anything screwing into aluminum. You're bound to crack the part.

If it's NPT then I've used Permatex liquid Teflon tape. You want the yellow looking stuff which is for fuel and harsher chemicals. The white is used for water and oil. I never use the tape as it ends up cracking stuff.

As for AN fittings, never use anything. Maybe wipe your finger in oil and then onto the threads to prevent galling. But most fittings are coated so they won't gall.

Riddler

Are they referring to the threads on the fuel bowl, or the AN threads?
Doesn't say, but I have never used anything but the thin washer type gasket and never had leaks. Only real leak I had trouble with was the big aluminum plug on my Quickfuel pressure regulator. It stripped out the first few threads on the plug, but I got it to seal up, albeit I had to tighten it more than I wanted to.

AN, or JIC fittings do not have washers. You're talking about a different kind of fitting, just straight threaded with a sealing washer or o-ring. AN fittings seal on the 37° male/female interface inside the fittings.

Cracking things with Teflon tape ? How damn tight are you guys going ! I have never cracked anything using Teflon tape, even in all my aluminum parts ....

Cracking things with Teflon tape ? How damn tight are you guys going ! I have never cracked anything using Teflon tape, even in all my aluminum parts ....
You'll eventually crack a thin cast aluminum oil pan, or transmission housing. The Teflon tape effectively increases the diameter of the pipe thread enough to crack stuff. I have often seen written warnings against using it on parts like this. Anyways, the liquid brush-on sealants are usually easier to work with anyways.

What are you Teflon taping on an oil pan ? Hopefully not the drain plug! Same thing on the trans housing, cooler line fittings ?....Just curious ...

Cast aluminum oil pans often have pipe threads on the drain hole. Don't ask me why.

Pipe threads are found on most automatic transmissions where the oil cooler tubing adapters attach. Transmission cases are often cracked there.

I would never use teflon tape on any pipe thread ever again. It's not necessary any more. Use liquid teflon.

--agree w/ the above! ---------- if your cracking anything, your the fault , not Teflon tape. been using it off and on for around 47 yrs. my favorite is pure permatex Teflon paste. sticky and gooey, stiff when cold or old, but good stuff. just don`t over do it .

I only cracked one oil pan. Many moons ago. Drilled and tapped it bigger for a straight threaded plug with a copper gasket. Worked 100% better anyways. Even though it was still cracked, without the the wedge of the pipe plug in the hole it only seeped slightly with the new straight threaded plug in it.

I didn' t use anything.
I put blue shop towels under the regulator and fuel rail so it would be easy to spot it quick...not one drop.

The washer like seals I was talking about are on the fittings going into the fuel bowls.

-
Back