Temp control switch???

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have been trying to get the AC working in my 71 Swinger. Found out my Push Button switch was not working, so I bought one from Rock Auto. Now the fan is working but still having trouble with AC. I can wire the comprossor from battery to get the ac clutch to kick in. So I have done some searching and found the temperature control switch is not working. Does anyone know if I can just bypass the switch? In the FSM it says the temp control switch controls the temp of the evaporator and turns the clutch on and off. How will that affect the workings of the ac? thanks

I'd say OK for now but it helps prevent the evap from icing up under extreme conditions, IE high humidity, but with moderate OD temps and the fan on lower speed, it can easily ice. Make sure the low pressure switch is operating and wired in.

In a situation where you have low heat load (moderate OD temps) and the blower on "less than high" ANY ice will start to plug the evap airflow, further lowering the evap temp and causing a (literally!!) snowball effect.

The big problem with this is that if the system has a charge that is right on the upward line or maybe slightly overcharged, this low temp situation CAN allow liquid to return to the compressor. Compressors don't like liquid. It tends to bend rods, break pistons, and blow cylinder head gaskets.

Thanks for the info. I will just have to remember to turn it off once in a while while driving.

-
Back