Temp slowly climbs up?

-

ace26

Reaction score
Ok just got my duster finished,new engine alum headed 410 stroker,reusing the stock 318 with air radiator.Ok the problem, i get it out and the temp stays around a 1/4 the way on the guage get it out and get it upto around 60 to 70ish the tmp slowly climbs up but when i nail it the temp comes back down only when at cruising speed does it climb on me,has new 160 stat new MP visc fan new alum waterpump,i didn't however have the rad boiled and rotted out it seems to be flowing fine.Do you guys think just takin it to the rad shop and having it boiled and rotted out will fix this?

i`m assuming its a three row rad? might want to have it cleaned and pressure check, change your thermostat back to 180, it will give the rad more time to cool off, plus drill a 1/8th hole in the top of the thermostat to prevent air pockets from building in the system, are you using a over flow tank..? Rick

I am in agreement with the stat change, put a 180 in it bare minimum. As stated, the coolant is most likely running thru to fast, dosn't give it time to cool. Did you make sure the anti-collapse spring was still in place in the lower hose, you need it there to keep the hose from collapsing at highway speeds.

I'll try the 180 stat and yeah the bottom hose has the spring in it, i feel sure the rad just needs to be cleaned out real good(crosses fingers).Ohh yeah went for a ride earlier today and the damned heater core started leaking went ahead and took that out and the rad along with it and dropped it off at the rad shop ended up having to get a new heater core that one was to far gone ,but the guy looked at the rad and said he was preaty sure it was the problem, guess i'll find out for sure tomorrow when i put it back on.

I had a 71 gtx that acted like that. Got the rad recored and after that it was as cool as can be. Put a nice new 3 core in there and your troubles will be over.

don

Yah, having my radiator recored to a 3 core has made it possible for me to run mine with just a solid mounted 4 blade fan and no shroud without anysort of cooling problems for the 360 even on 90 degree days, at least for now. I don't drive the damn thing when the temp gets above 90 degrees, no A/C and Black vinyl make for VERY HOT intirior. You should have loked into whether you have a radiator that can be recored to the 3 core, it depends on the top and bottom tanks widths as to whether you can do it or not. But IT IS WORTH IT!

krabysniper said:
Yah, having my radiator recored to a 3 core has made it possible for me to run mine with just a solid mounted 4 blade fan and no shroud without anysort of cooling problems for the 360 even on 90 degree days, at least for now. I don't drive the damn thing when the temp gets above 90 degrees, no A/C and Black vinyl make for VERY HOT intirior. You should have loked into whether you have a radiator that can be recored to the 3 core, it depends on the top and bottom tanks widths as to whether you can do it or not. But IT IS WORTH IT!

A larger core size is often needed, when using a more powerful engine.

USradiator has some good stuff.

http://www.usradiator.com/cplymouth.htm

When I had a bigblock camaro, the temp kept climbing on the highway,
I started with a high-flow 180f t'stat, then a fan shroud, clutch fan,
Flowkooler water pump, and a pusher electric fan.

I had already checked jetting,and timing, they were fine. I even jetted up
2 sizes higer, no help.

All the at speed temp. problems went away when I added a larger radiator.

My current car, I only have temp concerns when stuck in a traffic jam,
I just added the pusher electric fan, that I had from the old camaro.

-
Back