Tenant Rant

-
Not sure what the tenant rights are in your area. Here you could be charged with trespassing for not giving advance written notice before entering the premiss. Why I ran away from residential rentals and only did commercial. Less hassles.
I put in the lease that I could enter at will.

You may want to look over landlord tenant rights in your state. At will entry may be a violation of state statutes regarding quiet enjoyment.

Think I'm gonna go the lock box and programmable by me only route.

Lock box and if there is WiFi available, use a thermostat you can program and check with your smartphone (just in case).

Have a seperate meter put in for them and make them pay their own utilities...

@MOPARMITCH

Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat (RTH9580WF) | Honeywell

This thermostat allows you to fully lockout any input without a password.

It also allows you to setup 4 time zones throughout the day. Work out with your tenant what would be mutually acceptable and lock'em out ;)

This is good. May also draw up an amendment to the lease to lay out the temperatures agreed by both sides.

Rentals are a blessing and a curse! My wife and I have had our "issues" with our rentals.

Exactly. Plus you open to the door to missing property claims.

There is also when the landlord is really nosey and enters the premises while you're getting busy on the couch... BTDT... surprised she never came into the place again. LOL

Noooooo, my eyes!!!!!

I'm not sure who is right in this matter. What may be comfortable for you 76. Maybe to warm for them. As worded reasonable is a very grey areally. I agree 60 is way to cold for me. But I can remember when my wife was pregnant in the summer she like to froze me out of the house. Good luck with that dilemma.

I'm not sure who is right in this matter. What may be comfortable for you 76. Maybe to warm for them. As worded reasonable is a very grey areally. I agree 60 is way to cold for me. But I can remember when my wife was pregnant in the summer she like to froze me out of the house. Good luck with that dilemma.

Although the term 'reasonable' may be vague I think the landlord still made it clear that their settings were too low. - Then they adjusted the thermostat much lower. I think that shows a lack of willingness on their part to be 'reasonable'.

Renters will drive you nuts if you let them . I rent out a cabin on my property so I understand the frustration . The reality is you have no control over what they are doing other than charging them for power unless you want to throw them out . Just hand them a bill for power usage and move on .

If you are going to rent this out permanently you may want to have meter installed on Rental so these renters can just get there own bill and you don't have to be involved

I used to be the energy manager for Military Family Housing and I had set point thermostats installed so no residents could change the settings at all. I found that many of them just moved a lamp next to the thermostat in the summer and a baggy with ice cubes sat on it in the winter. Residents will do whatever they want to get what they want, so stop trying to control them.

For peace of mind, estimate the cost of your shop power useage, add 10% to it and then credit them that amount each month while they pay the full power cost themselves for the shop's meter. That way they can have what they want while they are left to pay for it too.

Other than this plan, pay to have a separate meter installed but you may be stuck with the monthly billing since most utilities won't do it for you.

Although the term 'reasonable' may be vague I think the landlord still made it clear that their settings were too low. - Then they adjusted the thermostat much lower. I think that shows a lack of willingness on their part to be 'reasonable'.
--------or stupidity !

I hate to be the Nattering Nabob of Negativism, but as a retired shyster I must recommend against tampering with the provision of utilities prior to formally modifying or terminating the existing lease. For the landlord to unilaterally change the terms of providing utilities can be a violation of the tenancy agreement and can lead to civil damages. Terminate the old lease properly, and then do a new lease saying that you have the right to put a lock box on the stat, or whatever.

-
Back