Textured interior pieces

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I was Sandblasting some Interior pieces for my 1968 Barracuda, getting them cleaned up for paint. And on some of the pieces they have a textured finish. They are like wrapped in a textured vynal and not painted. I think it was the cover for the rear seat hinges and the center console has it, so far that I found.

I'm changing the interior of my car from gold to black. So I need to paint it or something. Any problems painting over the vynal? Should it be a flat or Semi-Gloss finish on those kind of pieces?

The only pieces in a 68 that I can think of that have a vinyl skin laminated onto metal are the seat belt buckles. Same might be found on the rear side panels, or hinge covers of certain fastback fishes. I never owned a fastback.
Console, etc.., the texture is in the mold modeling. Anyway... Plastics and vinyls should get a paint/dye formulated to bond to those materials, SEM products for example. SEM Landau Black is dang near perfect match to OEM. It's lacquer based and dries to a proper low gloss.
Don't skip the cleaner/prep step or you'll regret it.

you can also create texture with a small roller if you like.
Here's a large version of texturing with a roller.

cornersmall.JPG

cornerclosel.JPG

The wheelhouse covers and rear folding seat hinge covers were covered in textured vinyl on standard interior fastbacks fron 67-69. If they are in good shape then you can spray them with dye and do the color change. Getting them very clean and proper adhesion promoter will give you good results.

Mine were to bad and decided to install carpet like the deluxe interiors were.

You can strip the vinyl and use the suede finish paint as used on the dash frame and column pieces for a similar effect.

-
Back