That blue paint thread started by Snake...

-

fratzog lover

Reaction score
Coincided with me taking off my grommets so I could clean my valve covers. The originals were a little on the not so flexible side, so off to NAPA. Then cleaning turned into Scotchbrite, which turned into repainting after seeing BrianT's block. Nothin' like new paint! Not concours, just the beater/ driver with almost 30,000 miles. Some NAPA paint remover which worked fast followed by bh 38 degreaser in a hot bath and some green scotchbrite did the trick. alcohol and greas/wax remover and ready to go. 3 Thin coats of self etching primer with 3 minutes between coats. A little polishing with a grey(not green!) scotchbrite after 40 minutes and the 2 coats of Duplicolor did the trick. I shot them downstairs (dont forget the respirator, the few tiny coats you spray are still no good to breathe) and brought them into the living room by the wood stove where its 75 and 49% RH. Not counting dry time, less than an hour.

Attachments

• Valve Cover 6.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Valve Cover 8.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Valve Cover 3.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Valve Cover 4.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Valve Cover 2.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Valve Cover 5.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 173
Nice and shiny Jim! Isn't it funny how one little job turns into something a whole lot bigger? Thank god it didn't end with you repainting the whole car!

Yeah, it just kinda domino'ed. Now I am looking at that RPM intake that does not have any shine left to the factory clearcoat! Why are my pics loading sideways?

Attachments

• valve cover 10.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 148
Blue is cool, very nice job.once we get some warm weather blue is next for my 318, I have to admit this will be the very first sb that has no chrome on it,ever.

-
Back