That was us/me! Updated!

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
I posted a thread a while back about how I was on the net and found a picture on the Winged Warrior site from when the Superbird club had a meet at Talledega Speedway and I thought that I was in the picture.

IT WAS ME!!!

I emailed the contact for the site asking if I could get any better pictures so I could zoom in and see for sure. She replied and stated that she would look and get back with me. I remember her name from long ago also.

She emailed me back the other day with some more pictures. I zoomed in on one of them and I know for sure that it is me and "the gang" that went to the meet. "The gang" included; my cousin Pete, me, dad, my brother, and our friend Jerry (who later became our brother-in-law after my bro finally married his sister). So now I can say that everyone in the picture is part of our family.

The picture that is posted on the site shows me going into the trunk of our car. I blocked the back window and the license plate, but you can tell it looks like me and is wearing a white t-shirt with black shorts (go ahead and yuk it up from those 80's shorts).

In one of the four pictures that she sent me, I zoomed in and can see an orange Superbird with white lettering on the back window, but can't see the license plate good enough to tell. My dad used to write things on the windows with white shoe polish. I went into my back garage yesterday to look and the writing is still on the back window of the Superbird! It says, "Capt's Car". Captain was our dog at the time and dad didn't think that he should bring him on the trip (they may not have allowed pets at the hotel). So dad wrote his name on the back window since he could not be there with us.

Captain was a great dog. He was a Dalmatian mixed with an English Setter. We got him from a local shelter named Paws when he was about 1 year old. He had a big black spot/patch around his right eye, similar to Petey from the Little Rascals. Dad and I trained him together to break his running streak when we first got him. He was then able to go without a leash, as he would obey us if we called him. We used to bring him to car shows with us, he loved to ride in cars. My dad built a special platform for him out of wood and carpet so he could look out the front window of our conversion van when we first got him, and he loved to ride on it and look out the front window while we were driving.

We first bought the Superbird back in 1981 from the original owner. He bought it brand new in 1971 (it was a "lot rat") and drove it until 1976. Then put it away for a while. He then licensed it again in 1979 and drove it to the Indy 500 race. Then drove it once in a while until we bought it in 81 with a little over 20,000 original miles.

While driving it home after buying it, we talked about not letting Captain in the car as it was in such good condition and his fur would get caught in the loops of the carpet and was hard to get out, even with a shop vac. Captain started acting funny for two weeks and we couldn't figure out why. Finally dad suggested that his nose was "out of joint" because he didn't get a ride in our "new car". So we got him in the Superbird and took him for a short ride, and he was back to his old self after that. He thought that we were mad at him because we didn't give him a ride in the car.

We brought Captain to all of the car shows with us, including Mopar Nationals. Many people liked him. He was friendly and would not bite, and could go off the leash. If he wandered too far, we would just call his name and he would come back to us. He loved meeting all of the people at the car shows and they got to know him and would look for him with us. Dad's favorite Direct Connection girl, Linda, really liked him, but that is another story.

So dad didn't bring Captain to Talledega because it was such a long trip. So dad wrote his name on the back window, so he could be there in spirit.

Here's a group picture of all of us in front of the Superbird on Talledega Speedway, waiting for the parade lap to start:

View attachment Sprbrd Tall A01 C2.jpg

Here is the same picture pointing to me in the white shirt and black shorts. From left to right is: Jerry (in-law), my brother, dad, me, cousin Pete. Look at Pete's goofy boxer shorts:

View attachment Sprbrd Tall A01 C2 me2.jpg

Here's the photo that is posted on the web site:

View attachment wwnboagroupphotos2.jpg

Here it is with me highlighted going into the trunk:

View attachment wwnboagroupphotos2 b.jpg

Here is the same picture that is bigger, that she sent me yesterday:

View attachment TRACK 02.jpg

Here it is pointing to our car:

View attachment TRACK 02 B.jpg

Here's another picture that when I zoom in can see the writing on the back window:

View attachment TRACK 03 B.jpg

Here is a picture of the back window that I took yesterday showing the "Capt's Car" that dad wrote on the back window.

View attachment Sprbrd 031314 RR Wndo A02 B.jpg

Here is a partial side view of it sitting in the back garage today:

View attachment Sprbrd 031314 Rt Side A01 B.jpg

Here is a picture of the speedometer yesterday showing the original mileage as it sits:

View attachment Sprbrd 031314 Speedo A04 B.jpg

We had parked the Superbird for a few years after getting burned out going to so many car shows. It sat for around 5 years before the Talledega meet. That meet was the last time that the Superbird was out since. So that was the only time that the car was out for at least 25 years!

Pretty sexy....I'm talking about the car...lol...really cool...thats some great memories...

Wow cool. Where's the car now Karl?

It is sitting in my back garage.

We replaced the gas tank, fuel pump, carbs, and fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carbs.

It's still not running right. I'm trying to figure out if it is the carbs not set right, or the ignition. It has a Mallory mechanical advance distributor in it, but I don't like how easy it is to wiggle the cap with the clips still on it. I'm considering putting a MP electronic ignition on it, but am hesitant to drill holes for the control box. I want to keep it as close to original as possible. I already bought the kit, but haven't decided if I want to do that or not. Maybe installing the control box with only one screw that is already there for something else so I don't have to drill any in the car.

It will start when we pour gas down the carbs, but then die. We have had it running for 15 - 20 minutes, but after it warms up, we can hear a popping and feel a miss at the left tailpipe. We may have a sticky valve from sitting all of these years. It does not have hardened seats either and I'm considering having my head guy put hardened seats in them - but I won't let him port the original heads like he likes to do with his valve jobs.

Now that is cool! Amazing story and the fact that the car us still in the family with super low miles. Perhaps the lowest mileage one in existance(?)

Now that is cool! Amazing story and the fact that the car us still in the family with super low miles. Perhaps the lowest mileage one in existance(?)

No. I've heard of a few with less.

My brother bumps into the original owner once in a while with work. He keeps asking if it's for sale.

It was dad's favorite car. He wouldn't sell it. People used to ask him to sell it and he would tell them that he put it in his will and it wasn't for sale. I plan on handing it down to one of my sons.

Wow :cheers: I remember that thread Karl, That had to be a great surprise when you got the E-mail :smile:
You was blessed with a cool father and life back then :cheers: Happy Happy days for sure I bet :wav:

Still in awe!!!....of Petes attire AND that hidden Supergem!!! Thanks for sharing Karl, maybe coulda done without that 2nd pic of Pete though!!!LOL!!

Let me guess, Pete was somehow very lucky with the ladies though, yes?

Still in awe!!!....of Petes attire AND that hidden Supergem!!! Thanks for sharing Karl, maybe coulda done without that 2nd pic of Pete though!!!LOL!!

Let me guess, Pete was somehow very lucky with the ladies though, yes?

Not that trip. I at least got a kiss on the lips from our waitress at TGI Fridays!

She had to work, so I couldn't take her out. :sad1:

But he normally does ok.

My brother, dad, and Jerry towed the Superbird down there on a trailer from Chicago. They stopped for an overnight in Tennessee. They went to the hotel bar and got to talking/drinking with some guys where visiting from Germany. They got those Germans so drunk. (along with themselves). They had a good time talking and joking with them all night.

I love stories like this!

I'd leave the heads alone. Hard seats are only needed if you're going drive the thing a lot. Never having had the engine opened up is worth more than having hard seats.

Wow :cheers: I remember that thread Karl, That had to be a great surprise when you got the E-mail :smile:
You was blessed with a cool father and life back then :cheers: Happy Happy days for sure I bet :wav:

You bet I was. Especially when I zoomed in and saw the writing from dad on the back window.

Dad loved the "wing things" as he used to call them, before we got ours. Dad would tell us how they dominated in NASCAR.

We lived in Omaha for two years. On our way to the health club there, we would always pass a house that had an orange Superbird like the one that we ended up finding. One day, it disappeared and we never saw it again.

Cool story, nice car, ugly shorts. ;)

Keep up the ugly shorts, and I'll post pictures of fat guys in speedos.... LOL! :sad1:

Then you'll be happy to see the shorts.... :banghead:

Great pictures and good memories. Thanks for sharing. If you want to keep ignition looking orig, put a pertronix module in an old points dist. Looks orig and save the dual point in trunk for OEM resto.

Cool story Karl... I'm surprised Pete got away wearing shorts like that back then. Them were the days you could get beat up for wearing stuff like that, LOL

-
Back