The 70 Duster......

-
What caused you to make the tough call to pull it from the shop that was working on it? Just curious.

What caused you to make the tough call to pull it from the shop that was working on it? Just curious.

The original agreement was that I would pay 1/2 down, pay for the paint and materials, and then pay the remaining balance when the work was complete. I paid the half down, bought the materials. Then with about 20% of the work complete, the shop wanted me to pay all but a few hundred dollars of the remaining balance. The way I looked at it was if the shop was only going to get a few hundred once the car was complete, there would be no incentive to finish the car for the amount of money that would have been owed. So I had to pull it before they started taking short cuts. The sad part is, the guy was doing really nice work (according to a couple of other shops that have looked at the car about taking it in). I think they under-estimated the total time involved and once the car got torn apart they wanted to use that against me to send more money.

Thanks for sharing. To bad and good luck finding another shop. At least at the point the car is now it should be pretty obvious to the next shop what remains to be done so they can provide an accurate quote.

My buddy runs a restoration shop and providing quotes is the most difficult aspect of his business, often times he can't realize what all is needed until the can of worms is opened all the way.

Nice build you got going, can't wait to see the completed project.

The first shop, basically thought I would take care of his personal finance problems once he got the car torn apart. He was wrong!!

I am not throwing in the towel just yet. It is just going to take longer to complete than I was hoping for. What I may end up having to do now is have a shop getting the shell primered and painting the bottom of the car along with the inside and engine compartment. Then getting the K member changed out to the spool K member and disc brakes. Installing the 8 3/4 rear that I bought and then when money allows, have the outside of the car body worked and painted. Then go back and install all the glass and interior. I know that is not the best way to do it. But it may be the only way my budget will allow.

Bummer that it went a bit sour like that but congrats on the wisdome to save the proect, and protect your selve at the same time.

I`ve been looking for an update every few days; but not this one. Hang in there, maybe some of the club members on the other thread will come through. Thats what FABO is about! Looking for a better update in the near future and God bless you`ll. Wayne

Thanks! Like I said I am not throwing in the towel just yet. I am going to keep hunting a bodyman willing to tackle it for a fair price. It may be someone willing to work on it in their spare time or something along those lines. I found a shop that is willing to work on it in small segments. However they can not take it for about 6-8 months. It maybe my last option but it is better than nothing. Stay tuned..............

I may end up selling my 2 favorite cars (73 Cuda and my 49k mile 71 Satellite Sebring Plus) and putting some money with it to buy one finished car! BUT I intend to finish this Duster as well. It just may be my last resto project!

the work from the first body shop did look good, talk to him about doing it in segments and see if they will work with ya, he should understand why you pulled the plug and might want to keep a good paying customer coming back.......just a thought based on what I seen in the pic's

I still have a few more people to contact about getting the project going again. The first shop would still have the car if the body man would not have told me that he needed the money to stay out of jail. If that was true, and he did get picked up then I would stand the chance to loose my car/parts if/when he was behind on his other payments. I just could not take that risk. I had to cut my losses and go on. The first month and half went great, progress was going well then.......story after story, send money...jail...send money..house payment....send money light bill........I had to cut the cord. I feel bad because someone that has the talent to do the work just would not follow through and get the work done. The original time frame was the end of the year it would be ready for paint. Then it went to the end of Jan. Then they told me that they they needed to take on some more jobs so it would push me back to Feb. So I offered a $1400 bonus to finish the car by the end of January. Anyway that did not happen. The last 2 weeks the car was in that shop only 1 panel got work.. Time to move on, go forward and find someone else that is looking for work!

see your point,the guy has talent stinks he can't manage his business as well.

my post Christmas update...not much has happened. I have contacted about 8-10 shops about working on the car for me. Of those only 3 shops wanted to come look at the car to see about finishing it. The first shop wanted 25k to only do the bodywork and paint (no reassembly). Basically to me that was the shops way of telling me he was not interested in working on the car unless I was willing to hand him a blank check. The other 2 shops never showed up to look at the car. I posted on a regional auto forum that I was looking for a shop or a painter that did side jobs. I got about 4 leads and of those only 1 person would return my call or emails. He set a time to come look at the car and never showed up, and never called to cancel or postpone. Then he called back a few days later and made a 2nd appointment to look at the car and he never showed up? Guess the hunt continues.....

Carcrazyguy;It sounds like you need a guy that operates from his home shop. I have seen spectacular results from guys that keep the car for a year or more.I think this is due to them being able to give the project the attention it deserves and not being in a hurry or too busy with cash cow insurance jobs.

Carcrazyguy;It sounds like you need a guy that operates from his home shop. I have seen spectacular results from guys that keep the car for a year or more.I think this is due to them being able to give the project the attention it deserves and not being in a hurry or too busy with cash cow insurance jobs.

I actually have the guy picked out that I want to work on the car. He is a painter by day and just bought a house that has a shop that will allow him to work on side jobs. He came very highly recommended. I spoke with him and we agreed on a hourly rate and I would pay for all supplies. He has made two appointments and has not shown up for either??? I know it is the holiday season and he is moving so I am trying to give it some time to see what happens. From his previous jobs and talking to him I feel he can really do this car some justice, I just wish that he would come look at the car and set a time frame of when he might want to start on it!

My plan C or is it D (?) right now is finding a shop outside the Amarillo area to finish it. I really wanted the car to stay in Amarillo so that I could help support the local shops and talent. Plus it is a way that I can keep my Dad involved in Mopars and the build without him having to spend his money to do it. He gets to watch the progress as if it were his own project. Anyway that may be my last resort but I sure hope it does not come to that. I sometime wished that I would just buy a finished car, but why miss out on all this fun! The hunt and the build are the best part of these projects!

I actually have the guy pick out that I want to work on the car. He is a painter by day and just bought a house that has a shop that will allow him to work on side jobs. He came very highly recommended. I spoke with him and we agreed on a hourly rate and I would pay for all supplies. He has made two appointments and has not shown up for either??? I know it is the holiday season and he is moving so I am trying to give it some time to see what happens. From his previous jobs and talking to him I feel he can really do this car some justice, I just wish that he would come look at the car and set a time frame of when he might want to start on it!

My plan C or is it D (?) right now is finding a shop outside the Amarillo area to finish it. I really wanted the car to stay in Amarillo so that I could help support the local shops and talent. Plus it is a way that I can keep my Dad involved in Mopars and the build without him having to spend his money to do it. He gets to watch the progress as if it were his own project. Anyway that my be my last resort but I sure hope it does not come to that. I sometime wished that I would just buy a finished car, but why miss out on all this fun! The hunt and the build are the best part of these projects!

Be patient,dont pester him lots.Dont wanna piss him off...lol Sounds perfect for the job!

The guy Im thinking about is here in Canada,but same situation. Has a hand built down draft booth behind the house,hard to get a hold of...maybe he returns your call in a week,lol.

Eccentric but does excellent work!!

I think you need to give the guy one more chance, if he is worth it. Make it very clear that you demand communication next time you speak with him, let him know you understand and respect everything he's going thru presently, but in the same turn he needs to understand your situation. Communication is not much to expect, it makes for a happy customer - pretty simple, a call to say something came up and can we re-schedule is better than 2 no show no calls - that is a terminable offense in most places of employment. It's ultimately up to you, but his situation (shop at home and such) sounds like a good deal for you.

Good luck and hope all works out with him.

I think you need to give the guy one more chance, if he is worth it. Make it very clear that you demand communication next time you speak with him, let him know you understand and respect everything he's going thru presently, but in the same turn he needs to understand your situation. Communication is not much to expect, it makes for a happy customer - pretty simple, a call to say something came up and can we re-schedule is better than 2 no show no calls - that is a terminable offense in most places of employment. It's ultimately up to you, but his situation (shop at home and such) sounds like a good deal for you.

Good luck and hope all works out with him.

I am going to hold tight until after the new years holiday. I am going to try to get in touch and let him know that I am not looking to have the car done in 2 months or anything. I just want to know that when he is ready to work, he is willing to take this project. What I want to avoid is waiting 2 months for someone to start. Then when the time comes, "No that is not a project I want to mess with".

Man,if I was closer located to you(im in Colorado)you could bring it to our shop.We would love to finish it up for you.It looks like alot has been done .Good luck my friend :cheers:

What ever you do.....Do Not Pay By the Hour !!!!

Get a quote to do the complete job.

I have talked to about 15-18 shops/people and not one, would bid by the job. They are all per hour only. I have had several people email me asking if I would sell the car as it sits with all the parts that I have bought, but I am going to hang onto it. I hoped to have the car finished within a year. Now I just hope I can find someone to work on it within a year!

I have talked to about 15-18 shops/people and not one, would bid by the job. They are all per hour only. I have had several people email me asking if I would sell the car as it sits with all the parts that I have bought, but I am going to hang onto it. I hoped to have the car finished within a year. Now I just hope I can find someone to work on it within a year!
wow,i cant believe you cant find anyone to work on it](*,)Are you looking to just find someone to finish doing the bodywork and paint?Or to put it together also?

Just looking for someone that wants to paint the car and hang the sheet metal (doors, fenders, hood and trunk lid) and line the gaps up correctly. From that point I can have the motor installed and the interior done.

The car is resting in comfort at a new shop! They picked up the car today and hopefully I will be getting some progress pics in the next week or so!!!!!

-
Back