The "But Dad, I'm Just Making It Better" build thread - '68 Road Racing Dart

-

Hyper-Performance

Late Apexer
Reaction score
I thought it was time for me to start documenting my build. This Dart has been sitting in my barn for the last 20 years collecting dust. It is the car I learned to drive in, my dad bought it new! This year I finally have come to peace with the direction of the build. Pull up a chair, grab some popcorn, things could get interesting!

dart006-M.jpg

Its an original 220 model. The old small block is tired and off to pasture. Surprisingly there is very little serious rust, mostly superficial wheel well (welcome to the midwest). Even the floor pans are solid!

Here is the plan:
Take this little beast and turn it into a corner-carving blaster capable of competing under the NASA American Iron rule set. BUT - keep it street legal.
Suspension will get a complete makeover - coil-overs all around!
Full caged interior, but still keep a few necessities like a dashboard, windows and a sound system.

This may be a long journey - I'm looking forward to the challenge and the feedback from those that have gone before me!

Love the 68 Darts! Can't wait to see your build. Any ideas on what your going to use for suspention?

And away we go - engine bay is empty, interior is mostly out (except for the dash and steering column), doors and fenders are off. The old leaf sprung, drum brake rear is now out:
050913_04-M.jpg

The new Ford 9" housing has arrived and the new lower control arm brackets and upper link bracket is tacked into place. Next up - getting the housing jacked into approximate location and starting the fab for the shock mounting, upper-link and panhard. No turning back now!
050913_05-M.jpg

Good luck.Always been a fan,of Detroit muscle road racing. That 1st pic,is priceless.

cool story, and car. that 9" sure looks nice... tell us more of your plans, what power plant???
JOE

-
Back