The caboose

-

jim

Reaction score
There is a car in the back of my shop!!

The pause button has been pushed on this car for maybe 10 years. I call it caboose because it’s the last car to redo.

Did see something I’m not sure is right. Gonna need some answers. Notice in the pictures the upper shock mount is off centered from the inner fender well. The spot wells look factory and I see no other sign of an accident . Had anyone else seen this?

Thanks

IMG_0873.jpeg

IMG_0874.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

IMG_0877.jpeg

IMG_0878.jpeg

IMG_0879.jpeg

Built at 4:50 on a Friday.

This bothers me more. Is that a crack?

Screenshot_20240402-150332.png

I’ve got one in my 70 Duster that is off center too but I think it’s just the way it got slapped together that day

Maybe it was used on Dukes of Hazzard as a jump car

:confederateflag: :rofl:

I thought the upper mount was all unitized , and your whole upper mount is shifted rearward.
The upper control arm mounting points are moved in order to affect both camber angles and caster angles. The shock mount is irrelevant to that on these cars. If the vehicle utilizes a strut type suspension, then moving the mount rearward would provide a caster gain.

I've seen that on A bodies. Sometimes things got sloppy, and 3/16 or so of the top of the shock moving around is not much really.

The upper control arm mounting points are moved in order to affect both camber angles and caster angles. The shock mount is irrelevant to that on these cars. If the vehicle utilizes a strut type suspension, then moving the mount rearward would provide a caster gain.
This ^^^^^
As far as the upper shock mount, they just got slapped together however rolling down the assembly line.

if you cut the 'hole' out in a bigger rectangular shape (with the hole offset in the rectangle), you can rotate the rectangle 180 degrees and reweld it with the hole centred over the shock. hopefully that makes sense, lol.
neil.

Recentering the hole might be the ticket

While, on your car, the shift is at near max, I can't recall if, in all the A-bodies I have ever owned over 54 years; if any of them were that much different from yours.
I can't even remember ever seeing it perfectly centered on any A-body car that I've ever looked at.

It absolutely does not affect the alignment on my car.
IMO, there's a reason that apron hole is as big as it is..

If you were to move it, How would you know what part to move? Does the bracket need to move forward? or is the apron punched too far forward? Was there a factory tolerance? What was the spec? and how far off is yours?
What are the advantages, if any, of moving it?
Check your spotwelds from apron to firewall, I bet they're all off line too. Check the welds between the rear floor pan and the fronts. Check the rear shock X-member. Check the T-bar sockets. Just try and install a 1.03 T-bar. Maybe it fits fine on the driver's side, but maybe you gotta drop the P-side LCA to get it in. So you think to yourself it must be the bars. So you swap them side for side, and nope, same thing. So you finally get it in there and force the LCA back up, and when yur done, there are three or maybe four turns difference on the preload adjusters to get the body to sit level. and then you come to find out, that one of the fenders sits closer to the floor; now what do you do?
Where do you stop?
When do you call it good enough?
How many guys saw that offset hole, going down the assembly line and yet, there it is ....... staring up at you plain as day; it's as if the factory thought nothing off it.
The rear was Not immune either;
If you look on the factory drawings, yur gonna see that the rear suspension mounting points have a location tolerance of a full inch. Which is why, on the alignment rack, nearly every one of these old cars, has a large enough Thrust-angle, that it is noticeable to both the driver and any car following.
Back in the day, we called it Dog-tracking, or Dodge-tracking, cuz as far as we knew, all Dodges did it.
Where do you stop?
Chevy had the same problems, attested to by the thousands of dog-tracking Nova's out there, in those years.
IMO, it's just a fact of Unibody cars of the day.
IMO, it's even a wonder that they could keep the tolerances that they did

Last edited:
-
Back