the curse continues

-

midlife89

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago The blue wire going to the alt burned,the wires going to the BR, VR and choke were spared even though the all tapped into that wire.It stopped about 4" from the bulk head.Untapped all the wires no others were damaged.Replaced burnt wire all was good. Sat it stopped charging,Checked wires going from VR to alt and from Alt to bulk head with a meter,all good.Made sure VR grounded,have power to blue wire w/ign on,No voltage at battery post on alt when car running,quits if I pull battery loose.Had alt checked at 4 diif places,2 chain stores and 2 mom n pop stores.Chains say alt bad,mom n pop say ok.Is there any diff between new computerised testers and old school?Guys at chain didn't seem sure on how to hook it up so my confidence in them is alittle shaken.Also added a xtra ground from block to body.Should I have power at green terminal on alt too?Also cleaned and checked all bulk head connections.

you shouldnt pull the + cable while the car is running. it can kill the diodes in the alternator. im no expert here, but i have had the same problem. some said my alt was charging some said it wasnt , the whole time my alt was indeed bad. here is some good reference reading with numbers, diagrams and links

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=173673

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 106
-
Back