The Dart God Crys on this!

-
That was a quickie respray, bondo, and fix up job.
I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

Ding! Winner!

well i have some tiny holes on mine i have to bondo up but theres that one big hole i haveto put metal under then a thin layer on bondo but im not using bondo to cover up just more or less to fill with a thin layer

Arrrggghhh! Bondo is not glue, and should not be used to patch even SMALL holes. The bondo will go through the hole, and protrude on the back side. Since you won't be able to seal that properly, it will absorb water, because bondo absorbs water. Your small holes will slowly turn into large holes. Large holes need to be cut back to good metal, have a patch welded in, and then straightened up with a hammer and dolly. Then maybe a little skim coat to true things up. If that's beyond your skill set, pay someone else to do it. If neither are those are options, you're better off leaving the holes alone.

i guess you are all missing the real close up picture.lol that car has at least 3 gallonse of bondo in it!. look at the pic of the driver side lower quarter. the close-up one. if you look, you can see that it has so much bondo, the panel is no loger straight!.

Exactly.

paint the rims, lose the wing, ditch the gts badges, and fix the scoops, and I guess it would be drivable without undue embarrassment

Except for the paint peeling off and hitting the cars behind you as you drive. Kinda like sitting next to someone with really bad dandruff.

Well the car may not be to your or my taste, but it seems to me he did a fair job of disclosure. He DID after show closeups of "the blems" and he doesn't seem to be claiming the car is something it's not.

There's a reason everyone that's trying to "flip" a car puts a quickie paint job on it. He may disclose a few things, but even people that know what they're doing may not see, or be able to find, everything that paint covers. Even if the future owner knows some of the story, its unlikely they'll know it all until a year or two from now, when the paint starts falling off, the improperly applied bondo swells and cracks, and the whole thing starts looking even worse than it did before the cheapo paint job. Buyer beware.

As far as the body colored rims, that's just my opinion. Black on black, yes. Blue, yes. I've even seen a set of green body matched rims I really liked. But yellow, orange and red- sorry guys. If you like them, more power to ya. I can't wrap my head around it.

:butthead:
respectfully

got some bondo by my rear (window) you can kiss too :p

Attachments

• IMG_1968.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 110
how exactly am i supposed to hammer n dolly metal when i cant get to the back of it?on the truck pillar i can and will do that but the front of the roof they ripped the vinyl off putting holes in it, so explain to me how im supposed to hammer and dolly and piece of metal when you can get to th back of it or under it?

:butthead:
respectfully

got some bondo by my rear (window) you can kiss too :p

LOL! :iconbigg:

Seriously, that's a good looking Dart! 8)

But if it were mine I'd put black rims on it. :toothy10: It would be pretty boring if all our cars were the same though. To each his own!

how exactly am i supposed to hammer n dolly metal when i cant get to the back of it?on the truck pillar i can and will do that but the front of the roof they ripped the vinyl off putting holes in it, so explain to me how im supposed to hammer and dolly and piece of metal when you can get to th back of it or under it?

Not sure exactly where you're talking about, the sheet metal at the leading edge of the roof, or the window channel itself? Either way if pulling the vinyl put holes in the roof, you have some pretty serious rust damage for the metal to be that compromised.

In either location, you'll have to cut back to good, solid metal and weld in a patch. If its in the channel, the hammer and dolly won't be necessary if the patch fits well. On the sheet metal, if the patch fits well you can probably get away without the hammer and dolly too, but you'll have to line everything up very well, and be very careful not to warp anything with the welder. You may have to get access to it anyway, which may mean removing a section of the body structure underneath to make access. Its a pain in the butt, but sometimes you have to remove the inner structure to get at the damaged sections. Without a picture its hard to tell how bad the rust damage is, but if you have lots of small holes you may need a new roof skin.

Removing the rust completely is the only way it won't come back. If you bondo over it, in a few years you will see the paint lifting as the rust bubbles back through.

What do you bet he took the wing off his Honda? Ha ha ha ha, i guessing this is a spray and bail, IMO

Doug

LOL! :iconbigg:

Seriously, that's a good looking Dart! 8)

But if it were mine I'd put black rims on it. :toothy10: It would be pretty boring if all our cars were the same though. To each his own!

:)
thanks brain,

I do think it would look very nice with some black rims like abodyjoe has. It was a bit too much yellow for me when I took the hoodscoop off and it is still a bit too much for me once and awhile, but it grows on you. Sometimes I get defensive about it, it was only my second car and my first classic. honestly I'm somewhat lucky that the car was in good mechanical shape and is pretty solid, even with some bondo and an apparent small hole by the back window.

anyway, I cover it and try to keep rain off as much as possible. If it does start to chip and flake off in two years or so well then I might get to learn some paint prep and I'll just get another cheap paint job of the same color so it matches my door jams, trunk and all. cheap paint jobs arent that expensive and they can actually look darn good. search "macco" here on fabo to see some very nice cheap work.
:happy10:
Creed

that dart aint that bad looking... looks almost like 49'er colors

there actually was a 1970 Dart GTS !
They were made in Mexico , for their home market ... very rare !
There are a couple of our fellow members whom have MoPars from Mexico ( and Brasil , and ... ) .

Is this thing one of those Chrysler de Mexico GTS' ? Highly doubt it ...

Aside from that hideous wing , the other big no-no item that makes me cringe is the manual drum brake setup !
Hell , if the car has a high enough top-speed to warrant the wing's presence , those damned 9" drums certainly won't bring that bastard to a stop no matter how much distance one's got ! :stop:

Body-colour Rallye wheels look gross here ; the Duster stripe is detractive from the hardtop's lines ; it's a loud cop stopper , but NOT in a good way :tongue10:

Arrrggghhh! Bondo is not glue, and should not be used to patch even SMALL holes. The bondo will go through the hole, and protrude on the back side. Since you won't be able to seal that properly, it will absorb water, because bondo absorbs water. Your small holes will slowly turn into large holes. Large holes need to be cut back to good metal, have a patch welded in, and then straightened up with a hammer and dolly. Then maybe a little skim coat to true things up. If that's beyond your skill set, pay someone else to do it. If neither are those are options, you're better off leaving the holes alone.

Your right thats what all-metal is for....

Wow,it takes real talent to make a cool car like a 70 Swinger into something that looks like it should be carrying 4 clowns to a kids birthday party...

Someone should tell this guy that if you're doing the bondo/paint/flip ebay routine on several different cars,you probably should'nt be advertising that fact.
Look at the quarter panel shots,the bondo probably started to bubble before the paint finished drying.

Auction ended! $4, 450 and the reserve wasn't met!!!

That's more than I would have paid for that car for sure. And the owner must be delusional if he thinks he'll get more than that for that car.

For all the sweet looking mopars in all the world....that just seems to me to be one butt ugly girl! But under her hood......well.....wink, wink!

Even Joe Dirt would not be caught dead in that car.

not quiet a 'giveaway' price, but still think there's more derogatory posts here than it deserves.
anyway....

Why did anyone bid that POS up that high!? And if he was guna quicky paint it why not the original body color!? its not like it was puke green. I dont get people. This car just makes me want to punch the owner.:angel9:

-
Back