The Drive IN..One of the great things in the Okangan BC

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

Although I get tired of the rich snobs sometimes in Kelowna I live in good old white trash Winfield..in a trailer park no less lol. This is one of the awesome things around here. :)

Pretty awesome.

My hometown still has a drive in as well. Few and far between.

Yep we got one too.
They are far and few between..There is a nice sight dedicated to them and where they are today. We had two in Kelowna at one time about eight miles apart and one in Vernon eighteen miles down the road. That was up until the middle 80s when they all came down at the same time :(..But I still have one full page program from 1980 and one of the movies is Hollywood Knights :) Maybe I'll scan it and put it up later

There Are 338 Drive-In Theaters Left in America — Here’s Where to Find Them

Last edited:
img046.jpg

Bit blurry because it's in a picture frame

We rent a cottage at Grand Bend Ontario. Has a 1/4 mile track and a drive-in about 2 miles down the road from it. Great beach, good times at the track and we get to take the grand kids in the Dart to the drive in

We have one about 15 minutes from the house, go there 3-4 times a year, they always play newer movies, a kid movie is always first, then an new release movie, its dirt cheap like $5 a person.
We always take my old truck and sit in the back, eat alot of food, grand kids are normally asleep after the first movie.

We also have one of the only drive ins where I live. It too went digital, a big upgrade $$$. A few years ago we saw a triple feature there and with how late the sun was setting and how long the movies were, the sun was coming up when the movies were done. We went to breakfast after the movies, we were kinda wrecked all day, still laugh about that one!

Blue Fox Drive In

Still have two,within a 50 mile radius... I go when I can,Americana ..needs to survive...

I practically grew up at the drive-in. My mother worked at the Hartford Drive-in in CT from 1948 to it's closure in 1995. I got to see all the first run movies of the 60's and 70's. One movie I remember most was the Green Berets. This movie came out in '68 when there was a lot of descent about the Vietnam war and also during the hottest streak of that summer. The lot held a bit over 800 cars and we filled up on weekends turning away at least 200 cars a night while the rest of the week we averaged around 500 a night. It was a crazy two weeks. And I do miss those days.

My first memory of a drive in, San Jose, 1969, Easy Rider. We drove an AMC Rambler, I used to run into the concessions, restrooms, or playground and coming back would look for the 76 ball on the antenna. You couldn't and probably wouldn't let your little ones do that now.

Believe it or not I found a way to get a picture of the old Skyway Drive in from 1966 no less. It's from a Road Trip by the BC Highways Dep. You can't see the screen but that weird slanted house was in front and you can make out the posters on the right and the green fencing

Skyway%20DI2_zpsqm6rbzer.jpg

Until a year and a half ago, I literally lived less than a 1/2 mile from this drive in.
Starlite Drive In
They broadcast the audio on an FM frequency and on any night I could easily tune in the movie.
They also have the old school window speakers up close to the projector house.
I'm only about 15 mins away now.

That's a nice add they have..I see a 63 Chrysler there
Not sure if they still do it, but they used to have a night time car show. They would play movies like "Beach Blanket Bingo" and old Elvis movies.

When my ex and I were dating (many years ago), her dad's 2nd job was working at the local drive-in so we spent a lot of time going to movies when I didn't have much money for a better date. He worked in one of the entry gates so we'd spot where he was and get in that line. I'd give him a $5 bill and he'd give me five $1 bills back as "change".
Of course we had to behave ourselves during the first movie because he'd always stop by and say "hi" while he was cruising the lot on his bicycle providing "security". But he always headed home when the first movie ended - and we never saw much of the second movie...
Good times!

We still have a couple of drive-in movie spots here in SoCal that still show movies. Our Inland Mopars Car Club arranged a 'car movie' night at one of them several times.
We need to do that again.

Last real drive in movie I saw was Independence Day at the Muskegan Drive in in Muskegan Michigan . They do Friday night drive ins at the local Mall Parking lot for free in the summer showing the movies on the wall of the building and walk in outdoor shows on an inflatable screen in the park but neither is the same as the old wheels up towels on the windows Drive in experience eh !

Oh man, talk about bringing back memories!

As soon as I started driving I used to go to the local drive-in. They had a "Dusk to Dawn" night twice a year and played something like 5 movies! People would bring kegs of beer in and it was just one big party. Funny thing is I don't remember any fights. We knew how to have fun back then!!

-
Back