The most relaxing drive of my life.

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This past Friday I left town with my Duster for the first time in 10 years. Even though it's technically not even the same car I started with 10 years ago it is the soul of that car in another body I picked up along the way. I went about 50 miles, stopping at my wife's office part way, and it felt so good driving down the road at 70 mph, revving 3000 rpm, windows down with a smile on my face that I could not hide if I had wanted to.

I guess all those times I got frustrated and wanted to sell it as a pile of parts or just recycle the whole thing are behind me now. I rushed some parts of the build knowing I would have to revisit them later because I wanted to drive it so much and now I'm so glad I did.

Now there are 2 more street legal drag days here before they shut the track down for the year. I need to replace my oil pressure gauge line and fix my Neutral safety switch in order to get there and pass tech. If I do, that will complete my greatest automotive year yet!

Cley

My Dart has been on multiple multi hundred mile trips and it was just a blast every single time.
The longest one so far was 17 hours straight, and only stopping for gas and food.
The last one was from here in AZ over to wine country and the ocean by Paso Robles CA, then all along the coast and through Santa Barbara down to the beach, through LA on the 101 and back over to AZ on I10 to Phoenix and up to where I live.

I drive my Dart on hundreds of miles trips regularly. No radio, just roll the windows down and find some nice low traffic out of the way places to go. When I put the 360 together, I wanted it to run in the 13's, run on the crappiest cheap gas(low compression), and get decent gas mileage so I could take long trips(16mpg on the freeway). Enjoy just driving it more than going to the track or car shows...It's my therapy. : )

My plan is to road trip my car as much as possible! I'm not sure what it will run at the strip but that is secondary to road tripping. I still need to finish the underhood part of the AC system as well as a future OD auto and the 8 3/4 I have been piecing together along the way. I'm more excited than ever after that drive! I'm gonna take her out again tomorrow.

Cley

Glad u got to cruise in ur duster. It was a long time coming. But it is well worth it. We will be at the race this weekend and then the last 2 street races. Mo power to ya. Kim

I love it when a plan comes together!! Nice work!

I just went through your pictures...I think the vinyl top was a good move...it works good with the hood scoop.

And I love those old school slots!!

Thanks for all the comments! Hey Kim, I hope to make at least one of those races this fall too! Right now I am sidelined by an ignition problem that I can't figure out.

Cley

-
Back