The only reason to limit mechanical advance

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
Got into a battle with the tech at work. Front guy vs grease monkey.

The only reason to limit mechanical advance is because the engine needed more initial so the transfer slot isn't too far exposed.

Because of the higher initial the mechanical advance needs to be limited so the total advance doesn't exceed the total amount desired.

I said there is no other reason to limit it.

Do I need to eat crow?

Last edited:
what do you mean, "the total vacuum"? That statement makes sense if you replace "vacuum" with "advance".:thumbsup:

More initial with the same total = less mechanical advance needed.
Vacuum advance is adjusted last, after the mechanical curve is properly set.

Got into a battle with the tech at work. Front guy vs grease monkey.

The only reason to limit mechanical advance is because the engine needed more initial so the transfer slot isn't too far exposed.

Because of the higher initial the mechanical advance needs to be limited so the total advance doesn't exceed the total amount desired.

I said there is no other reason to limit it.

Do I need to eat crow?
How old is this "grease monkey", and what was his position as to why one would limit mech. advance?

We're roughly the same age (32). His reasoning was for performance applications there's always a reason. (Kinda felt like a politician answer)

Probably shouldn't have called him a grease monkey he's are ace tech. But on newer stuff

Lol, that's even more impotent than a politicians answer, let alone less competent! "There's always a reason", no **** Sherlock. He is either completely clueless, or thinks He
has an explanation you won't understand. Either way, You are pretty much correct, although it doesn't always have to be related to transfer port/slot exposure it can be. The
basics are to get the perfect timing for the engine at idle whatever the cam/t-port sync/intake(w or w/o heat)/exhaust etc. for best idle & response, then yes, if the total is
beyond where you need it for max HP, it has to be limited. Rarely does the OE mech. advance need extended, almost never.

-
Back