The Right Valve Covers

-

Zelus

Reaction score
I recently installed a set of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046ZJAV0/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Comp Cams[/ame] roller rocker arms. I thought clearance would be an issue, so I doubled up the gaskets, and gently tapped the baffles outward. Due to a moving situation, I had to drive the car about 300 miles.

The extra clearance wasn't enough, and now my valve covers are cracked, leaking, and the rocker arms are still hitting them. (At least I hope that's what the tapping is) They are (were?) stock valve covers pulled from a 318 and stuck on my 340.

I've looked for tall valve covers. So far I've only found two, neither of which look like they will accommodate the oil filler, breather, and PCV valve.
Mr. Gasket
Edelbrock

I can't seem to find any valve cover spacers that might allow me to use normal height covers.

Any suggestions? Has anyone had success solving this issue before?

I'm running a set of Hughes rockers in my 360 and have a set of Holley (M/T style) valve covers that clear. I massaged the tin baffles for the oil breather and PCV to be sure they wouldn't hit.

I did have a set of the cast Edelbrock valve covers and did some clearancing on them, but it was for the end of a rocker shaft that was hitting and not the rockers.

I would think that the fabricated-type valve covers would work well, but I don't have any experience with them.

What about Mopar Performance cast finned ones? I'm not crazy about the look (just not my taste) but they are pretty tall.

I have a set of tall Moroso fabricated aluminum valve covers with two aluminum breathers for them. There is no pcv opening, however. They were too tall for my motor. They barely cleared the brake booster and I wanted to be able to take them off if I needed to without taking the booster off. They are very expensive covers and are like new. Here is the link to the sale thread if you are interested.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=182761

I have Hughes roller rockers with the mopar performance cast rocker covers....no clearance problems...

Thanks for the responses.

I'm certain that I want to maintain the crank ventilation system; I'm not interested in any solution that discards it.

I also don't want to buy covers that might not work. I need to know that they'll clear.

The stock height is about 3.25" (to the raised breather port) and I have over 3/8" of gaskets underneath it.

I checked under the covers, and it seems that the baffles are what is taking the beating, even after beating them in.

Perhaps a baffleless cover would work? What is the disadvantage of not having them?

Does anyone know if either of the covers I listed will accept a crankcase ventilation system? I know the pictures show only 2 ports, but I also know that generic pictures get used a lot.

You will also need the Left valve covers................. :glasses7:

- CK

I recently installed a set of Comp Cams roller rocker arms. I thought clearance would be an issue, so I doubled up the gaskets, and gently tapped the baffles outward. Due to a moving situation, I had to drive the car about 300 miles.

The extra clearance wasn't enough, and now my valve covers are cracked, leaking, and the rocker arms are still hitting them. (At least I hope that's what the tapping is) They are (were?) stock valve covers pulled from a 318 and stuck on my 340.

I've looked for tall valve covers. So far I've only found two, neither of which look like they will accommodate the oil filler, breather, and PCV valve.
Mr. Gasket
Edelbrock

I can't seem to find any valve cover spacers that might allow me to use normal height covers.

Any suggestions? Has anyone had success solving this issue before?

I seem to recall someone (maybe on Moparts) was selling laser cut valve cover spacers. You would run a gasket between the spacer and the head and another one between the spacer and valve cover gaining about a 1/2 inch of clearance.

Russ

Good to know! So non-baffled covers will work. How thick of a gasket are you using? Do you use baffled grommets, or regular?

I just use a rubber valve cover gasket from Autozone. My valve covers came with shield that goes under the filler hole to keep oil from flying up in the breather (I replaced the caps with breathers).

I just use a rubber valve cover gasket from Autozone. My valve covers came with shield that goes under the filler hole to keep oil from flying up in the breather (I replaced the caps with breathers).

That shield sounds like a baffle. Are they welded to the cover? Or do they attach in another manner? The covers you linked to appear to be baffle-less so I'm a bit confused.

That shield sounds like a baffle. Are they welded to the cover? Or do they attach in another manner? The covers you linked to appear to be baffle-less so I'm a bit confused.

Ah, I see that now....I have the black MP valve covers, the shield (or baffle) is screwed in from the bottom side. I just used some locktite on the screws, works great. The one that I linked look the same as what I have, but I don't know if they made another version (they might have)....unfortunately I'm not a valve cover expert.

I had Comp pro magnum rockers on my 360 with Mopar perf. valve covers and didn't have any clearance issue using std thickness gaskets. They had the screw on baffles like flyfish described. You definetly want baffles. The mopar perf. covers were on my car when I bought it and they didn't have baffles and slung oil out like crazy. I made a set from sheet metal because at the time I didn't see any listed. That solved the oil slinging problem.

-
Back