The wire from the starter relay to starter?

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
I'm nearly finished rewiring my car and when I went to try an start the car, it just a buzz sound. So I chased the wires going to the starter and found one that melted in the fire.

It goes from the screw just above the two pins on the relay down to the starter. It appears to be an 8 gauge wire. My wiring kit came with a replacement, but it's only a 16 gauge wire at best.

My question is, do I need to special order this cable, or can I safely use 10 gauge wire?(largest size I can find locally)

two wires to the starter from starter relay switch.....one is for the solenoid come from the S terminal on starter relay switch..and one is for power to the starter...

to the solenoid..it looks like 14 gauge wire..the power to the starter needs to be close in size to the battery cable

Here is what you need to check. Are you running a Neutral safety switch? If not, you need to run a wire from the G terminal of the starter relay (lower left side of relay) and ground it. I had a similar issue and this fixed it as I am also not running a neutral safety switch. If you need pics of the correct way to wire it I will go and take some of my setup. I have no motor so that makes it easier to see what wire goes where. Let me know.

Here is a diagram for you. It is off my painless kit, but same diagram and factory.

Attachments

• IMG_0383.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 658
The wire from the relay "square terminal" to the starter solenoid should be larger than 14. My recollection is 12 or even 10. If you have some no14, you could probably do OK with two of them in parallel.

The wiring from the screw terminal on the relay should be 10 gauge minimum. The remaining wiring on the relay should be 12 gauge.

-
Back