The word with vacuum advance canisters?

-

Woods74

Broke Senior
Reaction score
So, I'm doing a little tuning getting ready for the 4th, and as I went to plug my advance in to check timing, I realized it didn't do squat. It's screwed in all the way with the allen setting. For fun I turned it out all the way, the middle, no go.

Distributor is newer, within the last couple years.

Engine is 5.9 Magnum. Cam is .525/525 Lift, 226 @ .050 Duration, and 112 LSA.

Total timing is 30 degrees, initial is 16 or so. I pull about 18" of vacuum, I have real light springs in the dizzy.

Trying to figure out what's going on, and get clear on how to either modify or replace it so I can get my long lost 20 degrees!

Thanks!

If you don't have a vacuum pump take a section of hose and draw vacuum on the pod with your mouth. You should be able to feel it pull on your tongue as you try to put it over the end of the hose. If you can't pull a vacuum on the hose your diaphragm is bad in the pod. They are sold separately at O'Reillys and other parts stores.

Simple enough to test. Read your initial timing. Then with the allen screw turn all the way clockwise, plug the vacuum canister into a manifold vacuum source and read your initial timing again. This should tell you whether the can is working or not.

I had to replace my vacuum can a few months ago, O'Reilly's had one the next day and it was like under $20. I was told that today's craptastic fuel that we have thanks to the complete morons in congress is a contributing factor in the early demise of said can.

Ok, I tested the hose theory, it's bad. It's surprising because it's NEW?

I'll go grab a new one and see how it goes!

Thanks!

PS; I see a bunch of different numbers:

71'/340 V194
74'/360 V345
69'/318 V189

I'm sure the list goes on... What's good?

Got it:

Normally, the stamping on the vac. can is DISTRIBUTOR degrees, meaning your 11* is actually 22 at the crank. The same is true of all Mopar shop manuals, and the stamped figure on the underside of the Mopar advance mechanism. These must be multiplied x2 to get crank degrees. - 67Dart273

Thanks Del!

Cool! Nice to know where you stand anyway. Not sure which distributor you have but you may have to have them look up the part for an 80s Ramcharger or something like that.

Wanted to pop back in for an update. If anyone needs it:

BWD V410 it is 8.5R.

Pulls 22+ advance, adjustable. It was $10.99 + tax @ o'really.

-
Back