Thermal clutch noise

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Currently running a Hayden severe duty/heavy duty thermal fan clutch on my 318 for the past several months and I'm a little tired on the noise. Every time it is started when warm, it will whirr for a bit at engine speeds above 1500 rpm for a few moments and it seems like it is engaged between 2600-3000 rpm based on what I can hear. I've also noticed a slight vibration in the 2600-3000 rpm range while driving or while revving in neutral, which I think stems from that fan. This car has never had cooling issues, so I'm not sure the heavy duty clutch is needed. Suggestions on which clutch to use? Should I just drop to a standard duty thermal clutch to alleviate of what I noted above?

Pop the belt off and rev it into the vibration zone.This will divorce engine vibes from fan vibes. Obviously, don't drive it like this.
Your stock teener doesn't need much of a fan to keep it's kool. If you are not towing, not running A/C,not living in a desert, and not racing; then the 4-blade slanty fan will do, or the small dimeter 6-blade,273 fan. You could even run one of those aluminum 6-blade small diameter flex fans,that nobody likes. Or a straight viscous coupling, without a thermo valve.
But, if you plan on running the A/C, in 100*days, stuck in traffic,well, that just won't do.

Try the standard duty clutch. Just make SURE that you buy the thermal style, not non-thermal. The non-thermal is essentially partially locked up all the time, so you will only increase the noise.

Somewhere, maybe on Hayden's website, there is an explanation of the difference between standard and HD thermal fan clutches as far as percentage of lockup goes.

I'm a firm believer in clutch fans and you said it all when you said your car "has never had cooling issues":cheers:

The HD's stay engaged longer and later in my experience.
Put a standard on it if you want to keep the clutch feature.

Standard thermal unit should work with shroud.
Before you make changes:
Check to make sure all fan blades are straight.
Check water pump bearing and pulley, no wobble.
Current fan clutch bearing, no wobble, oil leakage.

A few months ago, I read a manufacturer's description of fan clutches. I recall they said to not use a heavy duty version in most cars since it has several downsides. I don't recall the details. I recall somebody linked the page.

A few months ago, I read a manufacturer's description of fan clutches. I recall they said to not use a heavy duty version in most cars since it has several downsides. I don't recall the details. I recall somebody linked the page.

One of downsides being noisy little mothers. :D

I put an HD on my motorhome once and I think in the 2 years it was on there it only disengaged once, and that was in a snow storm. :D
Living and using the motorhome in Arizona made it worth having still, but it sure would have been nice if it would have been quieter.

-
Back