Thermostat/what temp

-

EDMOPAR

Reaction score
Hi, what degree thermostat are you using in your 340 setup, I have a 72 340 mildly built for street ( somewhere around 375 hp ) going in a 1976 Duster, was planning on using a champion radiator ( 2 or 3 row) with electric fan(s), what do you suggest for thermostat degree, thanks, Ed

I always run a 160...alot of arguments from the youngsters as they think an old iron motor should run as hot as the new cars. Old iron likes it cool. Been running mine that way for almost 50 years

160 will sludge up in the winter, its ok for summer I switched to 180 still dont get alot of heat in the winter unless you go to 195, its a personnel prefrence thing, if you were drag racing go with the 160 thats a little too cool for me.

160 will sludge up in the winter, its ok for summer I switched to 180 still dont get alot of heat in the winter unless you go to 195, its a personnel prefrence thing, if you were drag racing go with the 160 thats a little too cool for me.

I use 195° thermostats for winter also. Better heater performance.

If it's a race car you want a cold thermostat or just a restrictor.

If it's a street car a 180 is generally the best to use because engines need heat to properly atomize the fuel at lower rpm's. Plus as Tekslk said a cold running engine is more prone to sludge buildup.

If your running a high compression engine that's prone to spark knock a 160 stat may help alleviate it as long as the rest of the cooling system has the capacity to keep the engine running in the 160 degree range.

In my 34 yrs. of experimenting I've found a cold (160) thermostat's benefits generally does not outweigh the benefits of a warmer (180) thermostat when the car is street driven. I almost never run a 195 thermostat in an older car. The main reason the car companies went to hotter thermostats is for fuel efficiency and lower emissions. Unless your in a cold location leave the 195 thermostats for newer cars. I do not drive my Cuda in the winter months so that has an affect in my choice.

-
Back