Thinking of ditching the 90 degree oil filter adapter on 360

-

Cal_gecko

Citron Yella!!
Reaction score
I've got a slight oil leak coming from somewhere on this thing (the oil filter adapter) and I'm tired of it. I've got cheap Hedman headers .. not even sure if removing the oil filter adapter is an option, but I'd like to explore it.

My question is this - if I do remove it, does the oil filter just screw in where the adapter screwed into? Is there any other parts needed to set it up for NOT having the adapter? Or just unbolt the adapter and clean up the block surface then screw in the filter?

Thanks

It will fit. You need the plate and double male 3/4-16 hollow bolt and a gasket for the outer ring only.

what plate? and where do I get a double male hollow bolt?? sounds like I won't just be able to pull the adapter off and screw on the filter ...

I've called several Dodge dealerships ... those plates are impossible to find ... and from what I've read it's not a good idea to get a used one because they often get bent/warped when being removed from an engine

I have used "used" ones many times with no issues. Find any junk V8 engine and get the plate and bolt, then get a new outer gasket and bolt it on.

when you say 'outer' gasket... are you talking about the one that goes under the plate between the edge of the plate and the block? or is there another one that goes on the outside, facing the filter?

there was a thread on here the other day. talking about a billet piece that Summit sales that gets rid of the 90 degree adapter and uses O-rings to seal. Like 39 bucks.

Or you can get a shorty style PH43 oil filter and not use the adapter...

rklein - yeah, that's what I'm looking to do ... but I can't just remove the 90 degree adapter and screw a filter on .. I need to find the base plate and the bolt/fitting that goes in the middle... I wonder if the 90 degree adapter has the bolt/fitting that I can use?

You can order the plate and bolt from Mancini or Year One.

And yes, use the shorter Fram 43 series (or equivalent cross reference)

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=240952

There's a picture in #21.

I wouldn't use a fram filter. I don't think it has a check valve.

I don't use the 90 degree adapter and I use a standard filter w/ TTI's.

Walmart sells a better Motorcraft filter that fits, FL-1A, and a shorter version if needed.

The 90 adapter does have the fitting and the gasket that you need, but you still need the plate with the holes. My plate came on my motor with six holes.

Hope this helps!

doesn't the 90 degree adapter bolt directly on the block with the hollow bolt?
...isn't the double male adapter only for the flat plate?

o.k. that goes on the adapter to accept the filter or on the block to accept the filter
..good point.

I have the opposite problem , plate has leaked since the builder put it on I just didn't know thats where the leak was but after sealing every other possible place I found oil on the underside of the filter -Dow , where the heck do I get a socket that is 1" all the way to the rim all mine are tapered for the first little bit , the shape keeps my box wrench's out and that double male is one low profile **** .

Had same problem , replaced with no right angle adapter set up , here's the parts I used dealer had them no problem

Attachments

• image-2948765628.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 783
I have the opposite problem , plate has leaked since the builder put it on I just didn't know thats where the leak was but after sealing every other possible place I found oil on the underside of the filter -Dow , where the heck do I get a socket that is 1" all the way to the rim all mine are tapered for the first little bit , the shape keeps my box wrench's out and that double male is one low profile **** .
Buy a cheap 1", 6 point socket and put it on the grinder and grind the tapered part down.

Buy a cheap 1", 6 point socket and put it on the grinder and grind the tapered part down.
yeah that's kinda what I was thinking when I had my good Craftsman socket in my hand ,problem is it's hard to find a cheap socket in these =arts all the cheapo sets stop at 3/4 or 7/8 and singles only come in brand names , I'm gonna bend the end of a 1" flat steel router wrench and grind the sides until it fits down in there first .

Cal, I have a plate and the double sided adapter if you are interested. You'd have to get teh gasket which is available at autozone, napa, etc.

I have cheap headman's also I use the plate but put 4 extra holes in it,i don't use those crappy orange thing's either! use a purolater filter

thanks guys .. I ordered the Canton Racing plate... and will use the part number on the receipt posted above to get the adapter bolt to mount it to the block :) you guys are great - thanks!

there is a very thin fiber gasket between the plate and the block, seen most with RTV here. Then the entire thing is held on by the double thread nut. Youll need these 3 things to get a standard filter to fit. The 90 bolt serves the same as the double ender. Usually a shorty will fit where a 90 was needed. Purolator filters all have silicon anti drain back baffles.

Thanks to all who pitched in with ideas for me , turns out the stroker I wanted to do the work on was completely different from the 318 sitting in the corner so after digging through countless old tool boxes at the pawnshop to find a 1" socket and grinding the end flush it was all for naught . the stroker had a double male with a large fat washer where the 1" nut should be and the passage inside of it was a 3/8 square , stuck an extension in it and voila off she came . Turns out in some places putting it together and painting it is an acceptable alternative to using a gasket , 3 years of trying to track down this small seemingly intermittent oil leak and it ends up being the builder neglected to put in a gasket .

-
Back