Third members question

-

dropshot1

Reaction score
I have 1970 swinger 340 with an open 741 with 3:23 gears, I would like to eventually put in 3:91's with a sure grip.can I purchase a 489 or 742 pumpkin, and bolt in and go with no problems, will they all work with my u joints and factory drives haft with no differences. Thanks for any input

I have 1970 swinger 340 with an open 741 with 3:23 gears, I would like to eventually put in 3:91's with a sure grip.can I purchase a 489 or 742 pumpkin, and bolt in and go with no problems, will they all work with my u joints and factory drives haft with no differences. Thanks for any input
There are differences in the yokes, thus the the u joint sizes . However, there's two types of yokes for the 489, a large and small, the small is the one you'll need to connect the driveshaft from the 741

I thought all H- code swingers had 489 case sure grips?
When it came to third members, I've yet to narrow down a 100 percent certain as to what came with what. I've seen 741s behind big block cars and I've see 489s behind 318s.

There are fine spline and course spline yokes, so you'll have to use a yoke that not only fits the spines of your new ring & pinion, but also the driveshaft u-joint. The yokes will interchange between housings.

You could swap the old yoke into the new center section if the splines and u-joint size match. But whoever is setting up the new gears will need both centers to set it up. However, keeping the whole old 3.23 center as a spare could come in handy if you ever need the gearing for a long trip.

So I think then I need the small yoke with a course spline, sound correct? Thanks guys for the help

Wait until you get the new center section before settling on a yoke. The spline count will depend on the ring & pinion. There are new ring and pinions that are manufactured with either spline count. A used center section can have either as well. At this point, what the car came with is irrelevant.

-
Back