this economy gauge

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
I found in my parts stuff was noted as for a '68 Barracuda. Any info on this ? I have a ralleye dash on my '68 convertible but it has a tach where it looks like this might fit.. or does it go somewhere else - does it fit maybe where optional clock might go? any insight appreciated. thnx
68 gauge.jpg
gauge 007.jpg

ive seen them before on VWs, among others

if i understand it correctly they were a gadget installed during the gas crisis
it basically is a vacuum gauge
the more you stomp on the go pedal, the higher the vacuum, the lower the fuel economy, and the gauge shows that

Yes thanks - I understand whattf it is. Did not realize they existed back in the day though - got one on a '86 944 which I thought was kinda weird. Anyway... maybe someone knows something about this on the '68 Barracuda..

Last edited:
It goes in center of ralley dash There were 3 options for that location that Im aware of: Blank black disc with no function, tach, ot vacuum gauge. Can't have both

67-69 B-Cudas came with either a Tach (kinda rare), a vacuum cage, a clock, (rare) or nothing This is on the right side of the speedo. I hope I am remembering correctly. My 67, and 69 both have vacuum gages. That vac gage, in your pic is for a 66 B-Cuda I believe, unless your pic is out of whach, cause it looks to big to be a 67-69.
Dave

thanks much - I'm thinking they took this little guy out and put in an aftermarket tach which is certainly OK by me.. it works and looks good. Maybe I'll offer this baby up on e-bay if anyone could be interested. dunno. thnx for your comments!
gauge 008.jpg

That particular vacuum gauge was center installed. Nice job with the tach in that location and it is likely as readable as the real Tach some of our cars came with. I just have learned needle posistion at a glance.

"I just have learned needle posistion at a glance."

not sure I follow - please explain. thnx

"I just have learned needle posistion at a glance."

not sure I follow - please explain. thnx

Even the factory tach is small and hard to read with 55 year old eyes. Never mind the black background, “ that white background looks better”. Like I said just trained on the bright orange needle position while driving and knowing what clock posistion my RPM is.

I put one in mine. Added a tach and AFR gauge as well.

View attachment 1715167104

Pulled my Suntach on the column to go back to the old original. This is what I see now only. I need reading glasses for close up so it kinda stinks while driving cause I can’t see the front of the hood with them on. Hell to get old.

6EA29D7F-5B0C-48B2-A580-945A79AFD20A.jpeg

On lots of the 67-69 cars.

My formula s 383 car only had the 120 version. Go to the Hamtramck historical Mopar site to learn more.

Mine was only a 318 car but it had the rallye dash option, with the 150 speedo and a clock.

The center pod had 4 different variations in the same hole.

My 67 Non-Formula S Commando 273 4 Speed had the vacuum gauge.

I parted out a rusty 68 FB 225/904 that had a 150 speedo.

My 68 318 had the blank plate in the center but I swapped in the vacuum gauge.

My 69 A56 cuda340 was ordered with a 340, 4 speed, 3.91 factory S.G. and a clock in the wood-grained Rallye dash! Clock? In a car born to run? Go figure. Also has the 150 speedo and standard split bench seat.

cool. so that's what my tach should look like. interesting.

Note these old original units only work with points type ignitions. If you are running anything else then get the upgrade board and install it. This was one of the reasons I unhooked it in 1984 when I bought the car and put in Mopar electronic. Pretty easy upgrade to make them work accurately again with any modern electronic style ignition systems.

no, I don't plan to change anything - mine's working fine with the EI in there now. White face tach was a good choice by PO.

-
Back