This makes no sense to me

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
I really could use some good pics of a small block oil dipstick installed. I cannot understand why all of the new ones I find for sale are absolutely straight as an arrow, because the hole in the front of Aaron's 360 is drilled at an angle that would have the dipstick pointing right into the fuel pump.

Granted, this engine came from a van, and I know its dipstick can't be used in his Dart, but the hole in the block wouldn't be different, would it? I seems as though the correct dipstick must have a bend in it to point it in a more upward direction.

I need help,
Jerry

It didn't seem as though mine was at quite that steep of an angle, but I did have to tweak it a little to fit properly. They are fairly thin tubing and bend easily. As long as the dipstick will still slide down and you don't kink it you should be good.

Sorry don't have any pics but i can tell you on my 318 that came out of a van i thought the same thing. i installed mine with the pump removed first and it all works fine. it is right up against the pump but thats how they all seem to be.

Just went thru this on the Demon. It's a 340, but I think the same setup for the dipstick. Had to remove the fuel block off plate because it was in the way. You could try taking the fuel pump off to give yourself a little more room to work. It was still tight, but with a little encouragement from a deadblow hammer and a little grease on the end of the shaft, it finally went in. Still had to bend the tube a little when done to clear the fuel pump block off bolt.

Agreed, a PITA :toothy10:

I went with the braided Milodon. Nice costly but is flexible and can be bolted in place to the head.

I here ya and this one works nice!

It makes a slight right bend as it comes out and the heads up by the the alternator.
PLEASE EXCUSE THE 7 YEARS OF GRIME. It does get driven.

P9200261.jpg

P9200257.jpg

I'll run out and snap a few pictures in a minute. Hopefully, I can get the camera into a spot to show something meaningful.

EDIT: Looks like the need has been fulfilled.

Doctor, please do get a pic or two, because mine just doesn't seem to come up at such a steep angle. I may be nuts, but it just doesn't look like a straight tube will ever work.

Jerry

I doubt a straight tube will work. In all I've seen the tube has been bent a little to clear accessories. I'm sure when their made their all straight and different accessories probably make a difference on how and where it's bent so the factory leaves them straight so you bend them to fit your application. You just have to be careful when bending it not to kink it. I bent mine to clear stuff successfully and have done several others as well.

It might make it easier by using a tubing bender to put some bend in it before you install it so you shouldn't have to remove any accessories to get it to drive straight in. Using a tubing bender should also help you not to kink it. Also grease the bottom up to make it slide in easier like 6pakdemon said.

Doctor, please do get a pic or two, because mine just doesn't seem to come up at such a steep angle. I may be nuts, but it just doesn't look like a straight tube will ever work.

Jerry

If you look at Yellowdartdave's first pic you'll see his has a bend at the bottom to clear stuff. All small block mopars are the same. You need it bent a little.

Unfortunately, with the grime and shadows and the view's angle, it's hard to see what I was hoping to see. Maybe Doktor can get more pics up to see. I'll try to post some, too.

Jerry

Gonna have to buy another one. Already ruined one. That's the whole point of this thread - to determine if the straight tubes I only seem to find are the right ones. If I recall correctly, the extra long one from the donor van had an "S" curve bent in it. I tried to duplicate it and messed up the tube. If I could see one installed, I could tell where and how much to bend it. Remember, once it is driven into the hole, it's going to be very tough to bend it smoothly. I want to bend it before installing it.

Jerry

Try putting the dipstick tube in the freezer the night before installing it. This will help it fit with less persuasion. Lube the end and install it quickly before it has a chance to warm. Find a piece of tubing that`s just slightly longer and larger than the dip tube. Slide it over the tube and against the tube flange. Tap it in until the flange on the dip tube is flush with the block. If the tube is straight it will go in easy. You can bend it slightly to clear your pump and alternator once it`s installed.

Sorry it took so long. I just saw this a bit ago. I snapped a few pictures that may help, but getting the angle I wanted to show where things were kept putting the stuff of interest in the shadow of the flash. I can locate a better light source or take pictures during the day if needed. Here are the least crappy of what I took...
DSC04447.JPG
DSC04448.JPG
DSC04449.JPG
DSC04452.JPG
Let me know if a different angle would pin down the problem spot in a more helpful way. I've mangled my share of dipstick tubes trying to get them to play nice with accessories.

DSC04447.JPG

DSC04448.JPG

DSC04449.JPG

DSC04452.JPG

Here is a pic of my chrome parts store cheepie. Its the straight kind like you mentioned. Clears my fuel pump ok... Hope this helps. Yes its filthy. Getting rready to pull & rebuild...
trim2003.jpg

trim2002.jpg

Now we're talking! Thank all of you for posting photos. Finally, I "get the picture".
icon10.gif

Now, I need to get a new tube, install it while it's straight, and see what I should do to carefully bend it. I especially like the idea of whacking the larger tube over the flange to seat it.
icon14.gif

I'll let you know how it goes,
Jerry

In theory, the stick might climb out, due to vibration, if the tubes weren't bent a little.

'85 318. they all use the same timing cover and i have all stock brackets, pump, etc. The dipstick pulling out?????? i don't see that ever happening with how much hammering it takes to get that damn thing in.

To bend the dipstick tube without kinking it, slide a spring that's just the right size to fit over the tube snugly. Then slowly bend it slightly to clear any obstacles.

I've been bending copper tubing for years with either springs or my trusty Ridgid tubing bender.

Good luck.

-
Back