This must be the worst feeling in a car:

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
You're all ready doing something dumb(street racing) and then this happens:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaKbq1RoqT8"]Wheel Flies Off Camaro While Racing - YouTube[/ame]

Although i just wonder, how the heck did all 5 break?

............And that is how people get hurt and killed in street races.

I've had it while happen driving normally.

Only in my case I was driving along at 45mph and my truck shuddered a little bit (it was an extremely windy day, I thought it was a gust of wind) and then I watched my Left Rear tire and brake drum pass me at 45mph, change lanes and disappear into the forest.

The only thing I said was. "Hmmm, that's interesting." and kept my foot on the throttle until I found a place safe to pull the truck off the road.

The axleshaft had snapped off right between the Bearing & Hub (Semi-Floating Axle, similar to an 8.75" in design)

When I was younger, (much younger), I drove my 69 GTO Judge 60 miles one day and when I parked it, got out to go inside the house there was a loud bang. I turned around and the passenger side front wheel had fallen off. Broke every stud off at the same time as all 5 of them were scattered around on the ground right there. Nothing else was wrong, just the broken studs and there was no sign of them being loose. So, it can happen at any time.

Jack

When I was younger, (much younger), I drove my 69 GTO Judge 60 miles one day and when I parked it, got out to go inside the house there was a loud bang. I turned around and the passenger side front wheel had fallen off. Broke every stud off at the same time as all 5 of them were scattered around on the ground right there. Nothing else was wrong, just the broken studs and there was no sign of them being loose. So, it can happen at any time.

Jack

Something like that nearly happened to my a customer at my buddy's shop. She bought this 64' impala lowrider and going to work one day she starts feeling a "thop thop thop" at highway speed. Called her boyfriend and he said pull it over and we'll tow it home just in case.

My buddy found that the axle shaft had cracked and started to rust/rot from the inside out. He broke the axle at that spot and found that the axle shaft(C-clip rear end) was being held on by about a half inch line of metal.

man thats just that damn general motors wheel self destruct....:glasses7:

I had a 71 Challenger when I was 16. It wasn't an R/T, just a 318 with a three speed manual. (Those were the good old days when we bought those cars for next to nothing!).

There was an older guy who lived by me who did have an R/T Challenger with a 383 Magnum, same year model. We lived in a small town in south Texas and we both happened to be on the same stretch of road outside of town one Saturday afternoon. He was driving below the speed limit for some reason so I just casually went around him and kept on going. Next thing I know, he flies past me doing well over a hundred (and I was driving over the speed limit myself!). But as we approached the city limits of the town where we lived we had to slow down. Fortunately, he had just backed off the gas pedal and coasted back down to the posted speed limit (there was a little hill on way into town that helped). As he got ready to make a turn, he tapped the brakes and sheared the studs on his left rear wheel. He was only going 45 by the time this happened, so the damage was minimal. I think his pride took more of hit than anything else, but if that had happened thirty seconds earlier, I think it may have killed us both.

I do agree, but i love watching street racing. Thankfully youtube allows me to watch it and not be an "enabler" of it.

I didn't think of it that way but we who watch are EXACTLY "enablers" A good example is the defunct "DavidsFarm" are you aware of that fiasco?

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Davidsfarm

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&tbo=d&q=davidsfarm&oq=davidsfarm&gs_l=serp.3..0l10.2186241.2188357.0.2188603.10.8.0.2.2.0.172.922.1j7.8.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.VY6TD7-f7dA"]davidsfarm - Google Search[/ame]

Even if the poster doesn't make money off Youtube, Youtube DOES

... and then I watched my Left Rear tire and brake drum pass me at 45mph, change lanes and disappear into the forest.

Sounds familiar. Back in the very early '70s I had borrowed my parents street-driven VW dune buggy (think Meyers Manx) for the weekend. I was driving home to my apartment when the left rear drops on the brake drum and I'm watching my tire pass me and roll on down the road. I pulled over to the curb, jumped out and chased it down.
All five wheel bolts (not nuts on studs) had backed out at the same time. Luckily they all stayed in the in the baby moon hubcap on the rim so I didn't have to go searching for them.

See, even slow *** pieces of junk can break parts when least expected.

Couple of real soft leaving turds in that video... :)

Barrel rolling a car or sliding through the light on the roof is a worse feeling, DAMHIK...

Sounds familiar. Back in the very early '70s I had borrowed my parents street-driven VW dune buggy (think Meyers Manx) for the weekend. I was driving home to my apartment when the left rear drops on the brake drum and I'm watching my tire pass me and roll on down the road. I pulled over to the curb, jumped out and chased it down.
All five wheel bolts (not nuts on studs) had backed out at the same time. Luckily they all stayed in the in the baby moon hubcap on the rim so I didn't have to go searching for them.

I didn't have that kind of luck, since my axleshaft had broken (odd place to break too, I think it might have been damaged before I got the axle. I had used the differentials and axles from a junkyard vehicle to convert my truck from 3.91 gears to 4.65's... yes 4.65's, not 4.56's... weird number.)

It was one of those days where I left my cellphone lay on the desk at the shop, telling myself "Nah, I won't need it, I'm just going to town to get a couple gallons of fuel for the skidloader." :eek:ops:

That is some seriously messed up stuff right there! I had no idea crap like that had happened :wack:

Even with out all the "kiddie ****" stuff, when that site was up, there was a LOT of incredibly potentially dangerous stuff involving underage kids, AKA no parental supervision except "Dave" and maybe his lackies.

One such memorable episode was when they took a front loader tractor and attached a great big street light pole (40'?) with a SEAT on top. The adventurous would strap himself to the seat and then the tractor "operator" would have a lot of fun lifting the victim into the air, and dumping him into the pond.

(Can't find the vid.....some of "Davids friends" have reposted some of the more tame aspects, but one of his "guys" seriously injured his back when "jumping" a big motor home, and at one point David killed a pig on camera with a chain saw.

So let's just think about this-----------------

ONE FAILURE of a hose or other part of a hydraulic hose, or the (quite possibly drunk or high) "operator" wiggles that valve the wrong way, and that Great Big light pole just might hammer your *** right into the mud.

Round two of one of the more dangerous projects, cannot find vid of the original

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVbdioJwDg&list=UU-tmpqnmyVV8Uz_vCGkskdQ&index=31"]Davidsfarm 1441 - Davidsfarm On The Clone Coaster Car - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgCc8fRdtGo"]Redneck Rollercoaster Lives Again - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't think of it that way but we who watch are EXACTLY "enablers" A good example is the defunct "DavidsFarm" are you aware of that fiasco?

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Davidsfarm

davidsfarm - Google Search

Even if the poster doesn't make money off Youtube, Youtube DOES

I dont think thats a fair comparison. That vile davidsfarm douche makes videos because there is a segment of people who get thrills from watching gut wrenching videos. Its something that seems to have spawned from the internet.

Where as, people have been making videos of themselves being stupid in cars(street racing, illegal burnouts, etc etc etc) for as long as camcorders have been small enough use in a car.

See, even slow *** pieces of junk can break parts when least expected.

Couple of real soft leaving turds in that video... :)

Barrel rolling a car or sliding through the light on the roof is a worse feeling, DAMHIK...

If its the same blue camaro from other videos, its got a nitrous setup and is pretty quick...you just loose a lot of forward momentum obliterating wheel studs.

As for the bmw, bmw's arent notoriously hard leaving cars. Its a turbo e36, so maybe 400rwhp give/take on street tires.

I had it happen on a 73 dart sport when I was 18 . Right in front of a police station . Had a great time explaining that one to them.

About 15 years ago, my dad and I drove his '55 ford Crown Victoria 100 mies to a show in Pa. He took first in class and runner up for best of show...well on the way home, the car started to wobble just a little. In the time it took to say "did you feel that?" BOOM, SCREECH, SPIN, HOLD ON. The tire wedged itself between the rearend and the top of the wheelwell. The 1/4 was crunched, rear bumper was scraped, rocker was crushed and the drum was ground flat...I will NEVER forget that ride.

............And that is how people get hurt and killed in street races.
People get hurt and killed every day. People get killed at drag strips, Nascar tracks and monster truck events. How many people have been killed in the bleacher seats at some of these events. Street racing is where most of us here have come from. Without street racing, we wouldn't own the muscle cars we currently have today. Mopar, ford, chevy, etc. built companies on the cars that were used for street racing. Yes, street racing is for the most part is a thing of the past, stupid and dangerous. I did it, loved it, have some fond memories of it, and some scary memories that id just as soon forget happened, I wish it was still around. What street racing has to do with some nut job cutting off a pigs head with a chain saw while watching child **** is beyond me!!! Watching some idiots jump around on you tube videoing street racing and saying we are enabling them is just a stretch.

-
Back