THIS POOR B(64)STARD

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I feel for the guy but in this day and age of "the internet" if he'd just done some research..............

And my long ago annoying companion story about the bent AMC drums

Long ago, around 78-ish, a local tire store brought a pair of AMC rear drums in, same as above, tapered rear hubs. I mounted them on the brake lathe, and they wobbled so bad it was incredible. So I called them and said WHAT did you guys DO ----BOTH these drums are completely RUINED and maybe the HUBS ARE TOO.

"We didn't do that a customer brought them in. He's a math teacher from up at XXXX."

"Well SOMEBODY needs to teach him how to do a brake job."

Just before closing, some guy walks in the front door, and says, "Who is it claims he is going to teach me how to do a brake job??"

I took one look at him and said "SOMEBODY needs to teach you SOMETHING because you completely RUINED a pair of drums and perhaps the HUBS as well"

GEEZUS he was mad!!!! The last I saw of him he was flipping me off while exiting the building!!!

My simple fix, buy a new rear end and axles..

I feel for the guy but in this day and age of "the internet" if he'd just done some research..............

I'll send a trailer ot to take that miserable POS off your hands. You can go back and hug your Toyota. There should be a law against non Mopar guys owning them. :lol:

That reminds me, I saw a puller on Marketplace I forgot to buy...
hubpuller.jpg

Last edited:
I've worked on many different vehicles with tapered axles through the years and never had a problem with them. Some were a little stubborn to get apart, but the all came apart. The key is having the right tools.......and not being a frikkin crybaby.

There should be a law against non Mopar guys owning them. :lol:

The key is having the right tools.......and not being a frikkin crybaby.
Amen to both above. I will say if they haven't been apart in 50 years it takes some work AND THE RIGHT TOOLS to quote Rusty
A member from AZ that used to be on B bodies bought a 64 330 bone stock. Even with the right tools we had a hell of a time :BangHead:

Amen to both above. I will say if they haven't been apart in 50 years it takes some work AND THE RIGHT TOOLS to quote Rusty
A member from AZ that used to be on B bodies bought a 64 330 bone stock. Even with the right tools we had a hell of a time :BangHead:
It does. They can stick together pretty good. As long as you have that hub puller though and know how to use it correctly, you'll get them apart every time. You caint just tighten down on the tool, either. You have to tighten, smack the end, rinse and repeat.

The problem is there are "drum pullers" that grab the edges, & the ignorant believe it's for any drums, not just slip on styles. Amazingly I managed to service the rears on My '60 Willys P/U w/o the "right tools" & didn't F it all up, can't fix stupid..

Couple hundred bucks for a 65-67 axle fixes it permanent.

Good lookin' car, though.

Couple hundred bucks for a 65-67 axle fixes it permanent.

Good lookin' car, though.
No. It does not. The tapered axle housing ends are different and require their own specific bearings as well as the brake offset is different. So in order to convert those housings to a solid, one piece axle, you have to cut the housing ends OFF, weld on the later one piece axle housing ends AND get the correct backing plates and brake assemblies.

And get this......1965 is "SUPPOSED" to be the first year for the solid axle rear ends right? Wrong answer. lol I had a 65 Coronet a few years back. Original car had never been altered, but it was sans motor and transmission. Guess what? Yeah, it had a tapered axle rear end under it. My guess is, like everything else, Chrysler had some stragglin parts they had to use up.

And get this......1965 is "SUPPOSED" to be the first year for the solid axle rear ends right? Wrong answer. lol I had a 65 Coronet a few years back. Original car had never been altered, but it was sans motor and transmission. Guess what? Yeah, it had a tapered axle rear end under it. My guess is, like everything else, Chrysler had some stragglin parts they had to use up.
Yep, got to use them parts up. Yours could have been a early built car. Like the 65 Darts, Valiants, and Barracuda's. Most got the 7 1/4's until late in the year and then the Formula's and HP 273 cars got the 8 3/4. But not all. My 65 Dart had a 7 1/4 with a HP273 and a 3 on the tree. That was a odd duck.

Yep, got to use them parts up. Yours could have been a early built car. Like the 65 Darts, Valiants, and Barracuda's. Most got the 7 1/4's until late in the year and then the Formula's and HP 273 cars got the 8 3/4. But not all. My 65 Dart had a 7 1/4 with a HP273 and a 3 on the tree. That was a odd duck.
No kiddin. Don't drop the clutch! LOL

One wheel peel. Man I could smoke that one 13" bias ply all the way down the block.
I reckon if you didn't have a substantial tire on the back, it'd probably live a while. Mine will skin the hide off the right rear, but I've only done it a time or two. I've had those axles out and I know how tiny they are. lol

I was referring to replacing the entire housing.

I reckon if you didn't have a substantial tire on the back, it'd probably live a while. Mine will skin the hide off the right rear, but I've only done it a time or two. I've had those axles out and I know how tiny they are. lol
I'll TELL you what's tiny LOLOL. Land Cruisers, generally, are known for being somewhat tough. My old 62 pretty much survived a 360, a 340, and later, a 318. Axle wise I mean

I used to know a guy in my home town that used to INSIST how rugged "Nissan Patrols" were. These resemble the old style Land Rovers. Anyhow one day he brought in a rear axle to get a bearing replaced, and I still giggle, sometimes, how small that thing was. Tiny. Ridiculous.

Chrysler had some stragglin parts they had to use up.
Same here. 1965 Plymouth Belvedere stone stock and it had tapered axles.
Toolman was right,use what we have till their gone ! Lots for cars came from the factory that weren't supposed to be.

I didn't watch the whole video, but I replaced my 64 Polara convertible's tapered-axle rear end with a rear end out of a 66 Charger. Bolted right in.

I don't like tapered axles simply because they are more difficult to service than flanged axles, but as far as I know, Mopar flanged axles are plenty strong. Studebaker flanged axles, on the other hand, are weak, and will break on you. Back in the day, my parents' 56 Studebaker Golden Hawk broke two axles. I converted the 56 Studebaker Golden Hawk I own today to flanged Moser axles offered by one of the Studebaker vendors. Friend of mine has a 59 Hawk; his left rear axle broke, despite having only a 259 inch motor with less than 200 hp. Messed up his left rear quarter panel. Right after that, he converted to Moser axles, too.

More old Mopar stuff on my s--t list would have to include fluid drive and ball and trunnion u-joints.

My son just change the studs and made the drums slip off. We have been doing this for many years Leave the hub on and slide the drum off just like the later years. Those studs are swedged in and must be removed pressing them out one at a time holding the hub for each individual stud, This man just don't have a clue what he is doing.

scan0002[1].jpg

scan0004[1].jpg

-
Back