This should be a sticky.(sure grips).

-
Man I learned some things myself. Do not turn axle without having the other axle installed is a new one to me. I didn't know that.

This kind of information should help us gear heads keep a grip on things!

I just had to say that.

Yeah, I never knew that either.
Now I'm thinking to myself...."Did I do that when I installed my Moser axles?"?????
Oh, crap, I hate that.

That may explain the initial clicking noise I hear when I roll my car out of the garage.(no driveshaft installed)....dangit!

Thanks for the article. The information will definitely come in handy.

The warning about rotating the sure grip with only one axle installed applies only to cone type sure grips not clutch type sure grips. If you were to get the splines out of wack, it would prevent the axle shaft from sliding in all the way during installation. If your axles installed correctly then no spline alignment problems exist. Any noises in the rear end would not be from rotating with only axle installed. The clutch type sure grips have a one piece axle side gear and can not get out of align as far as axle installation goes.

The warning about rotating the sure grip with only one axle installed applies only to cone type sure grips not clutch type sure grips. If you were to get the splines out of wack, it would prevent the axle shaft from sliding in all the way during installation. If your axles installed correctly then no spline alignment problems exist. Any noises in the rear end would not be from rotating with only axle installed. The clutch type sure grips have a one piece axle side gear and can not get out of align as far as axle installation goes.

That is not always the case, I've been building 8 3/4 thirds for years and most of the clutch type SG's I have rebuilt are the two piece axle side gear set ups. I've only run into a hand full of one piece side gears types in my life.

Great article, but can anyone tell me how to identify a suregrip just by looks or casting numbers maybe? Not having much experience with them, I dont know how to id one that has already been removed from the housing.

Thanks, yes, that helped. Are there more than one differential bearing size or are they all the same? How about splines on the axle, all the same or were there different spline counts made?

No matter what type of side gears, one or two piece, if the axles install correctly there is no damage done by rotating the gears with axle not installed. As far as I know all the splines are the same. There are different side bearing inside diameter measurements depending on what diff case you have but the have the same outside diameter measurement so you can interchange the differential from unit to unit as long as you keep the races with the correct bearings. Pinion bearings are different from case to case 41, 41, or 489.

-
Back