Thoughts on 2011 Mustang GT.

-
I'm all mopar on classic cars but I think that the new mustangs
kicks the camaro and challenger's ***.They have the old muscle
car stance and from the front the GT looks like it's ready to eat
whatever it wants to and spit it out.If I were to purchase a modern
muscle car I'd buy the Mustang in a heartbeat.

Do you guys seriously think Chrysler will just sit by and watch the Mustang walk all over the Challenger? Just give them a year or two, I KNOW the Challenger will be lightened and seriously up-powered. If they can get 404 HP out of the latest 5.7L Hemi imagine what they can do with 6.4L intended for SRT use... I'm guessing at least 525 HP for that, maybe 450-475 for the 6.1 if it stays around. Just look at what Chrysler is doing right now and its plans for the near future and they know they can't afford to let the Challenger be second-best. They would be STUPID to let the Mustang reign supreme indefinitely.

Chrysler owned by Fiat and the goverment and they will make
more horse power ?????????????????????????????????????????

Do you guys seriously think Chrysler will just sit by and watch the Mustang walk all over the Challenger? Just give them a year or two, I KNOW the Challenger will be lightened and seriously up-powered. If they can get 404 HP out of the latest 5.7L Hemi imagine what they can do with 6.4L intended for SRT use... I'm guessing at least 525 HP for that, maybe 450-475 for the 6.1 if it stays around. Just look at what Chrysler is doing right now and its plans for the near future and they know they can't afford to let the Challenger be second-best. They would be STUPID to let the Mustang reign supreme indefinitely.

Exactly. This is the same company that upped the horse and torque on the 5.7 with the statement they weren't going to lose the horsepower wars to the Tundra. Now, as stated, they are upping the ante again to go after the GM 6.0L. This is also the company that has released the 4500 and 5500 Rams to go after the F450 and 550s as the largest "light" duty commercial vehicles.

With the 6.4 coming online as the SRT8 engine it seems to me that they are hardly resting on their laurels.

Considering the pony car (and the overall muscle car wars) were about the biggest and baddest engine on the street none of the big three took it laying down back in the day. Hardly seems reasonable that they would do so again.

The Phoenix/Pentastar engines (if they ever get them online reliably) will be a good V6 platform for the Challenger. Allpar is reporting 420hp out of a twin turbo version of the 3.0L with 370hp out of a single turbo. Even if they go baseline of the 3.6 it's still close to 300hp.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/phoenix-engines.html

The biggest knock on the Challenger and the Camaro is still the weight. Maybe the redesign will address that.

Personally, as far as the new Mustang goes. I'm still not impressed. I'm not liking the looks of 'em. The grille turns me off. Ford stepping up to the new 5.0L and the 300hp V6 is about time. But drag strips are one thing. The old design on the GT500 was a nose heavy pusher in cornering, how's it do in real world testing on the street for high speed maneuvering? Ol' Carrol still complaining about the overall package?

Chrysler owned by Fiat and the goverment and they will make
more horse power ?????????????????????????????????????????

The government is being paid off and considering Fiat is the primary owner of Ferrari you doubt they aren't serious about performance?

Allpar is taking about the next Viper being developed using Ferrari tech...

I've yet to drive a 2011 Mustang but unless they totally redesigned the interior there is no way I could ever own one. I am a little over 6'3" tall with 36" inseam and I simply cannot drive one. My legs hit the steering wheel and the seat does not go back far enough. I also do not fit in the new Camaro comfortably - the roof line is too low. The Challenger is the only one that actually "fits" me.

As far as performance goes - holy cow does it look like Ford has a winner

yes but making the viper fast and a super car is a totally different mindset then making that overweight pig billboard looking thing they call a challenger fast and respectful.

I think most would agree that the in terms of looks, Challenger wins hands down. But a problem Chrysler has had for a long time, is there crap is just too stinking expensive compared to other cars in the same category. I don't care how much "better" the Challenger looks than the Mustang and Camaro, many will NOT voluntarily spend that much more for a vehicle when they can get something that looks great (Mustang) and has far superior performance for significantly less. Sure some diehards will by the Challenger, but I think the majority will go with the Mustang because it looks great, performs, and makes much more sense economically speaking than Camaro or Challenger.

I would love to see Chrysler get their junk together on ALL there vehicles and start pricing them competitively but my experience is that hasn't been the case historically, and unless further changes are coming, will likely not be the case in the future. Here's to hoping for the future though...

i know they are different cars but my friend has a magnum, a lot different car but its an LX car which is what the challenger is based off of. The quality of the car is really poor, all kinds of little problems and noises, parts wearing out like crazy with only 40k miles on it. I know challenger is a little different but same thing underneath with a big motor in it.

My 06 liberty has turned me away from buying a new mopar for a good while. Its the same as my friends magnum. It has less then 50k on it and i have more noises then my beater car with 152k

If i was buying a new muscle car at this point it would probably be the stang and for daily use it would either be something from nissian or a ford fusion

i know they are different cars but my friend has a magnum, a lot different car but its an LX car which is what the challenger is based off of. The quality of the car is really poor, all kinds of little problems and noises, parts wearing out like crazy with only 40k miles on it. I know challenger is a little different but same thing underneath with a big motor in i

don't have to tell me about that. our magnum is a piece of ****. only has 35K on it.

I think most would agree that the in terms of looks, Challenger wins hands down.

HELL NO! stang blows it away in looks even with the redesigned tail panel. and the more camaros i see the more i like them over the challenger. the chally looks like a billboard from the sid its so tall and flat.. plus it just looks like a fat pig.

HELL NO! stang blows it away in looks even with the redesigned tail panel. and the more camaros i see the more i like them over the challenger. the chally looks like a billboard from the sid its so tall and flat.. plus it just looks like a fat pig.

Agree 100%...

I like the Challenger's design.
The Camaro is just plain fugly.
The Mustang is...alright (ecept the back, as others have mentioned).

But I'm seriously considering buying a 5.0. Total package ftw.

i know they are different cars but my friend has a magnum, a lot different car but its an LX car which is what the challenger is based off of. The quality of the car is really poor, all kinds of little problems and noises, parts wearing out like crazy with only 40k miles on it. I know challenger is a little different but same thing underneath with a big motor in it.

My 06 liberty has turned me away from buying a new mopar for a good while. Its the same as my friends magnum. It has less then 50k on it and i have more noises then my beater car with 152k

If i was buying a new muscle car at this point it would probably be the stang and for daily use it would either be something from nissian or a ford fusion

Unless Ford has improved the production quality don't get your hopes up on the Mustang being any better. I spent quite a while at Ford, chasing suspension noises, interior plastics rubbing together, inane BS on the Mustangs just like you're talking about the LX platform. Even the P51 had these issues. Sorry, but a $68,000 510hp aftermarket built car and Rousch had a hard time curing that BS.

my thoughts? the mustang kicks ***.... just saw one at the track running low 12's.

the camaro is no slouch either. v-8 with 400hp and also has a 300hp v-6.

the stang and camaro blow the challenger away. chrysler dropped the ball yet again..

Completely agree with this post!

Sorry I did not read the whole thread so excuse me if this has been asked. I think it is great that the Ford/Chebby and Ma Mopar are making "hot rods" again. But to me, all 3 cars are downright fugly in comparison to the cars of yesteryear. In my eyes, that new Challenger looks like a fat terd compared to a 71. Anyway, why could they not have just added all the modern day safety/emissions crap to the old cars? I realize that it would complicated, but there are members on this site that are using the new Hemis in there old cars. And if a hobbyist can do it why can't the manufactures? I realize that there would have to be some compromises, for example, a passenger side airbag with the shape of an a-body dash probably would not be easy to do........

I don't disagree with you, I said "most". From what I've read, most do like the design better. Personally, I think the Mustang is the best looking of the three, though I'm not a big fan of the redesigned nose. I have a similar feeling as you regarding the bloat of the Challenger, but I really don't think the Camaro is too much better. They both are WAY too tall, though the Challenger is a bit taller yet. Still, I would definitely have to go Mustang myself. However, at 6'6", the only thing I'm fitting in is one of those crappy Magnum's...

Well I guess you have never driven one of the new SRTs huh? I have 6 mopars, best driving stoppomg corning ar ever built from Mopar that is not a Viper.

And I guess you opinion is that and I respect it too. 8)

My 64 Dart has a longer wheel base than any of the cars in this pic, the Cuda is wider lower, your *** sits o nthe ground in the seats but the car does not hug the ground as does the SRT, the SRT has much more comfy seats better leg and head room. YOU CAN HAVE both.

That said I would take my Cuda over either new Challenger any day too. But the Cuda does not ride like a new car, but does haul good for a 340 car in the 1/4 is easy to work on, has great looks and with the factory handling package and new better gas shocks handles decent for what she is.

I like all Mopars old new, A,B, E etc. You can debate this to hell freezes over, but I am glad all 3 are making some decent rides, beats the heclk out of the 80s crap all 3 were making.

Nope we will not see 1957-1971 again, and these modern cars are short lived too.

The EPA and crash standards and bumpers etc started very heavily getting slammed back in 1974.

I do I agree I wish in some aspects we could go back to 1970 and do it again.

And a stock SS Camaro is no faster that a 6spd SRT that is pure BS I can post 100s of time slips, 0-60, 1/8, 1/4 times. And the gearing is so darn tall even with 3.92s that a 6 spd with 20" rims does 180+ stock no issues.

And the camaro is about 4000 lbs too. The new Camaros with blower optioned engines etc are in another league and we can add a blower too. Guys are making well over 800HP on the GEN III stroker hemis. Yep Mopar should do better to compete for those that want it I agree. We are finally getting a 6.4l 392 hemi this year, but they should stroke it to a 426 be done with it and crank 600hp at the crank like the aftermarket.

But go drive each and dont judge just performance but stopping, corning etc and ride. The new car is more of a LUXURY hotrod and more upper end inside than any stang or camaro!

Also, I get 27-28 mpg on the SRT and the SE 2010 v-6 HO with the 5 spd auto gets 29-31 MPG consistantly too and zips decent for a 3600 smog car.. Many have ram them stock mid 15s which for a big car with a v-6 is very decent. Nope it aint going to run with a new 2011 v-6 stang, but then again they ride like crap, are smaller and less comfy too.

It is all about what you want in a car.:)

IMG_1915 (Large).jpg

IMG_1942 (Large).jpg

IMG_1943 (Large).jpg

IMG_1945 (Large).jpg

that cuda is SWEEEEET!!!!!! I'd much rather have that than the new chally.. of course, everyone else here would too. lol

With all 3 cars being 100% stock I can not find one road test that shows the SRT-8 as anything but the slowest in the 1/4.

Camaro SS………………3849 lbs.
Mustang GT…………...…3650 lbs
Challenger SRT-8………4140 lbs

And…… And this is a big one. The Challenger over $10,000 more for it being the slowest.

I would still get the Challenger for the looks alone if I was in the market.

Hey Dave. Are you by chance looking to adopt a 31 year old??!! Very nice collection you have there, oh, the house too!

I have seen many of the road test bias too, All I can say is I have done best of 0-60 in 4.17, driven 152 mph in 5th and still pulling then let off in 6th, and ran a 13.07 in the 1/4 and had a fair amount of tire slip. The F-s are a high speed tire and not a 1/4, 1/8 etc tire.

And thanks for the ++s I like em all and dont read the BS go drive em for your self.

again then the 64 Dart with a 416 will destroy these cars in a 60' and a 1/4 but it is a diff application right...

They should build this right!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1cLfiVSyrw"]YouTube- LMC Super Cuda 200 MPH![/ame]

-
Back