Thoughts on Drum to Disc Conversions…

-
I have two cars with manual 10" drums all around, bone stock.

They both stop just fine.

I converted to 4 wheel discs on my Barracuda only to realize I dont drive fast enough or should I say wreckless enough to need them . I stayed with drums on my 69 Swinger 4sp even with a 500hp 408. What I did do though was enhance the master and drum cylinder sizes to increase leverage . It stops real nice .

Drum brakes stop just fine BUT, can they stop you as fast as the new car in front of you that has 4 wheel disc brakes and anti lockup? No, and if you think so you are just kidding yourself.

matter of fact back in the day I had a new second gen Honda 750F motor cycle with 3 hydraulic disc brakes. No way you stop any car that fast.

The type of brake really has little to do with braking power.
Its about how they are set up in relation to the weight, and for most people, the built in anti-lock assist can make a big difference.
Servo assisted drums need the understanding and experience to use effectively. They can not be applied digitally.
Disks, if properly sized, can have an advantage in leverage only with wheels that so allow.
Otherwise the main advantage is heat dissapation. This means a they should be able to handle a wider range of situaions before the lining gets out of its best working zone.

The Ford SHO came with front disks that were not properly sized for those cars. Certain Scooboos have a rep for inadequate disk brakes - even for autocrossing - which is really not that hard on brakes.

Not that this has much to do with the OP's decision.
I think that comes down to how much of a project and what fits his planned uses.

That said its always fun to watch how long Edsinger's Corvair stays competitive with drums on all four.

You'll have to go on to part 2 before his brakes get too hot and he need to back off a bit.
The guy chasing him with the dash cam is in a much newer BMW.
The rules are factory iron brakes, so that limits what a Corvair can use.

Last edited:
Anybody that thinks drums are better than discs needs mental help. All I said was that drum brakes can stop very well if they are right and in good shape. That's a true and factual statement. Especially with light little cars like the A body.

Like anything else, add power and you need to add some whoa. Whether it's bigger drum brakes, or going straight to discs. I remember years ago, when I was into dirt track with some friends, we ran drum brakes, because they were lighter. By a good margin, too. We won a good bit, too. Those were some fun times.

I think that comes down to how much of a project and what fits his planned uses.

That said its always fun to watch how long Ken's Corvair stays competitive with drums on all four.

You'll have to go on to part 2 before his brakes get too hot and he need to back off a bit.

Yeah I mean I don't see anything that would have huge brakes out there, but I did notice in the video that the otherwise slower cornering and accelerating 1987 BMW 325is just absolutely out brakes almost all of the cars near it, despite having downright puny 4-wheel disk brakes. Pretty wild gain in a braking zone.
upload_2022-2-7_17-59-23.png

upload_2022-2-7_17-59-50.png

Fact of the matter is, you're not out there with a bunch of vintage cars, you need to perform much closer to a modern car in today's traffic. They're not fine when you're slamming through the car that cut in front of you.

Maybe this is something with some relevant data? About the same as I mentioned earlier. Even with narrow front tires...
Upgrading Mopar Plymouth Car Brakes - Mopar Muscle Magazine

What Rusty said is spot on .
If you are not a tail gaiting road rager chances are you will never know the difference between the discs and drums . And stock discs do weigh more than the small drums .
BTW my drums are manual as well .

That said its always fun to watch how long Ken's Corvair stays competitive with drums on all four.

What is that white Saloon he is following ? Jag xk120 ? I see a BMW 2002 and the mentioned Corvair , older 911 or 912... whats the blue car with the trunkated trunk ? I think I have a Model Motoring HO slot car of one ...
And I could tell the car with dashcam was a E36 or later BMW ( with an SMG ?)

What is that white Saloon he is following ? Jag xk120 ? I see a BMW 2002 and the mentioned Corvair , older 911 or 912... whats the blue car with the trunkated trunk ? I think I have a Model Motoring HO slot car of one ...
upload_2022-2-7_18-32-38.png

Its an 87 325is. E30... Its likely a 5-speed manual. They didn't make SMGs until E46 anyway...

I have two cars with manual 10" drums all around, bone stock.

They both stop just fine.
Drive slowly through a 8" deep gutter and still expect to stop before the crosswalk? Not happening with drums. Disk in the front for the win. Grab em off a Diplomat or something if they are available. Scarebird has kits still? Uses GM calipers and Toyota rotors or some Frankenstein combo.

XK140 according to the results
https://www.pvgp.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/BR-Gp-2-Sun-Crown-Royal.pdf
from this page Winners Circle - Race Results | Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix
Edsinger from Md is the white Corvair. Not sure why I always misremember his name. He sometimes competed at autocrosses in the Wash DC region.
It looks like at this event they accomodate vintage drivers and cars from most of the major sanctioning bodies.

of course the video guy admits he's not really driving a '69 2002 - the organizers must be very lax about the rules. Generally that would be considered at minimum unsportsman like (thats alone is a rule violation in the SCCA).

Last edited:
Anybody that thinks drums are better than discs needs mental help. All I said was that drum brakes can stop very well if they are right and in good shape. That's a true and factual statement. Especially with light little cars like the A body.

Like anything else, add power and you need to add some whoa. Whether it's bigger drum brakes, or going straight to discs. I remember years ago, when I was into dirt track with some friends, we ran drum brakes, because they were lighter. By a good margin, too. We won a good bit, too. Those were some fun times.

"Hello, I'm wondering if the Doctor can see me next Friday. It's concerning a fixation on drum brakes......"

I had a 67 Dart with 10 " manual drums. I converted to the factory style 73 - 76 style power discs. Car stopped great and it was my favorite upgrade I did to the car. I've always preferred power brakes and I was not disappointed. Plus you can get new rotors, rebuilt calipers, and new brake pads at your local auto parts store.

"Hello, I'm wondering if the Doctor can see me next Friday. It's concerning a fixation on drum brakes......"
lol. I like drum brakes too. Just SO simple.

I am going to use early 4 piston Kelsey Hayes brakes . On the Demon staying 4" small bolt and 15 inch Cragars . On the Barracuda if we do it same brakes but with 68 mustang big bolt 4 1/2" rotors and Torque Thrust wheels. I like the early 4 piston brakes there is no drag when released. Less brake dust. also leaves the wheel base narrow as they came from 67-72
Since you said you are new to Mopars, I wanted to make sure you noticed this comment about the track width change. On my 73 Duster, I converted to 73 up discs as my car was originally a slant 6 with small-bolt drums. The 73-up discs work great but they do move your wheels out towards the fenders a lot compared to the stock drums or stock 72-down discs. I believe the number I have seen is 3/4" per side. Regardless, it's enough of a difference to have clearance issues with tires that previously cleared everything just fine.

I would go with Scarebird, direct bolt on with over the counter parts, i honestly did the whole swap in like 3 hours pretty easy. No need to change ball joints etc. With i would of went with them on my dart instead of the KH discs, its a ***** to find calipers

Since you said you are new to Mopars, I wanted to make sure you noticed this comment about the track width change. On my 73 Duster, I converted to 73 up discs as my car was originally a slant 6 with small-bolt drums. The 73-up discs work great but they do move your wheels out towards the fenders a lot compared to the stock drums or stock 72-down discs. I believe the number I have seen is 3/4" per side. Regardless, it's enough of a difference to have clearance issues with tires that previously cleared everything just fine.
Had that issue on my 68 barracuda then i had new rims made. a 15x6 rim with 4.5 back space with a 225 60 15 tire and the track width came out great!

I used the wilwood drum to disc conversion with my small ball joint spindles. Great kit, no complaints. Put it together myself, and i'm no expert mechanic.
I have that set up in my hardtop. Just worried as said if I should need a caliper someday .

I would go with Scarebird, direct bolt on with over the counter parts, i honestly did the whole swap in like 3 hours pretty easy. No need to change ball joints etc. With i would of went with them on my dart instead of the KH discs, its a ***** to find calipers

Scarebird? Happen to have a link?

I noticed today that Summit says SSBC will probably ship their proprietary brake pads in May. That illustrates perfectly a huge reason why using stock-type brakes is a good idea.
I thought SSBC was gone. That is what I heard. I have an SSBC conversion, and I really like it.

-
Back