Three on the tree with a 318?

-

67Signet

Smoke and chaos stunt coordinator
Reaction score
Hello "A-list crowd!"
I have a simple question,
I have a 225 six cylender three on the tree manual and Im wondering can I swap the 225 for a 318 without switching trannies, will the three speed hold up?
This 318 will be a stock 2 barrell motor with dual exhaust.
Also how can I tell a 71/4 rear from a 8 1/4 rear?
thank you everyone . love this site!

67Signet said:
Hello "A-list crowd!"
I have a simple question,
I have a 225 six cylender three on the tree manual and Im wondering can I swap the 225 for a 318 without switching trannies, will the three speed hold up?
This 318 will be a stock 2 barrell motor with dual exhaust.
Also how can I tell a 71/4 rear from a 8 1/4 rear?
thank you everyone . love this site!

Welcome, to the site.

This link will give you your answers to both questions.

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/a-tranny.html

pic4.JPG

A Slant Six trasmission housing will not bolt up to a small block. You will need a different bellhousing for it. The 3speed should hold up fine, mopar made some tough stuff. Quite common for a manual 318 car to be a 3speed, a lot came factory that way. :thumblef:

So I need bell housing , do I need anything else for the three speed? what linkage should I use if I with to foor shift?
thanks for your help!

If you want to convert to a floor shift, look at a shifter like Hurst, which comes with all of the necessary linkages. A lot of the Valiants and even quite a few 340 Dusters / Demons came from the factory with a 3 speed manual floor shifter. If you want to stay with original factory parts, they are still out there. Your 67, if it's still stock, will most likely have the 7.25" rear end with the /6 engine. It has smaller axle tubes than the 8.25" and has 9 rear cover bolts as opposed to 10 bolts for the 8.25".

-
Back