"Throwing a rod(s)"

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
An old story from what are now the old days

My old 70 V code RR original 440 lost it's guts somewhere S of Stockton somewhere around 1973.

I had engineered some 4 days off without leave (we worked 24 on / 48 off at GCA, so we traded some) and a friend (now RIP) were going to drive up to the Navy comsta near Davis? Sac? to see a friend of mine, and who was the car's original owner.

So we jump in the thing in San Diego and 'drive all day.'

Somewhere around midnight somewhere S of Stockton in the "middle of nowhere" I began playing with the throttle. Gary asked what? I said I thought I felt something "maybe it's a chunk out of a belt"

As near as I can figure the sequence is something like this:

The no6 rod lost it's cap more or less, and affected a nearby rod. At least two rods broke, and one windowed the block. Of course all the oil and antifreeze fell out. There was a hole somewhere in the pan, too

As the rods slung around and around, the cam got broken up into several pieces. One, I kept for awhile, was a cute little thing with two lobes on it!!!

So now the valves are all stopped, some closed, and some open, but most of the pistons are still sort of going up and down for a time. This of course means that the valves, some of them, got the crap kicked out of them, and this didn't do the pistons or cylinder walls any good, either.

We walked and walked and WALKED. Finally came across some one-horse service station in the middle nowhere, and luckily, the only half drunk operators where JUST closing up. And!!! They had a wrecker!!!!. So we went and got the wreck with the wrecker, AKA the smoking remains, and then the two only 3/4 drunk operators gave us a ride into Stockton. We left the RR at the station.

The two mostly completely drunk station operators dropped us off at a hortel. We were standing there on the corner, contemplating "whut" when a motor cop rode up, so I hailed him.

"Sir scuse us, can you advise a way out of town?"

"Have ya tried hitchikin?"

"Sir you don't understand. We have MONEY. We are lookin for a plane, boat, train, you know "wheels."

"Have ya tried hitchikin?"

So we got a room with an EARLY wakeup (this is I don't know 3AM by now) to catch a plane

The wake up call came, and we decide, screw this let's sleep. We can rent a U-Haul and haul /tow the RR back to San Diego.

So we get up about 11AM and find that NOwhere in Stockton can we find a one-way truck to tow or haul the RR

So we Greyhound to SF

Get a taxi to the Oakland airport

Jump on a PSA flight back to San Diego

Taxi from the San Diego airport to Gary's house in National City (Paradise Hills)

We get his truck, go round up a U-haul clamp on tow bar, and go N to NAS Miramar where we drop the PU and jump in my 64 426 Dodge and drive ALL the freekin way back N to damn near S of Stockton to the service station........where the RR sits

(On a side note we woke up the daughter of one of the station operators who was jumping her boyfriend in a little trailer out back of the station. Laughing and giggles afoot)

Hook up the RR, and drag the smoking remains all the way back S to NAS Miramar.

Now my leading chief used to do a really good imitation of Columbo. He would knit his eyebrows and frown concernedly, and say "I just have one question."

"Are you supposed to be able to look down THROUGH THE ENGINE AND SEE THE GROUND???

GCA huh? Dad was Air Force GCA in the mid 50s when they were setting up the DEW line. He got set up in the mobile trailers in places like Knak Knak and Point Barrow Alaska. I have a few photos of them pulling the trailers out of the nose of C-124s. He talked about how deep the ruts were in some of those airfields laid out in Marston mat.

Quite a memorable story on the Road Runner. I had a similar experience in a friends 70 GTO that we drove to San Antonio from Amarillo. It was a low 14 second car until you hit the button and then it would run 12.90s. After arriving in San Antonio the bell housing separated on the turbo 400. He was launching the 4000 pound beast with the nitrous and it took its toll. His brother towed us all the way back behind a 64 Chevy Belaire 3 on the tree six banger. That was a hair raising trip too...

GCA huh? Dad was Air Force GCA in the mid 50s when they were setting up the DEW line. He got set up in the mobile trailers in places like Knak Knak and Point Barrow Alaska. I have a few photos of them pulling the trailers out of the nose of C-124s. He talked about how deep the ruts were in some of those airfields laid out in Marston mat.

Quite a memorable story on the Road Runner. I had a similar experience in a friends 70 GTO that we drove to San Antonio from Amarillo. It was a low 14 second car until you hit the button and then it would run 12.90s. After arriving in San Antonio the bell housing separated on the turbo 400. He was launching the 4000 pound beast with the nitrous and it took its toll. His brother towed us all the way back behind a 64 Chevy Belaire 3 on the tree six banger. That was a hair raising trip too...

The formula then was that Navy ET had to commit to 6 years. I was in school for just about 2 years total, ET-A school at Treasure Island, and GCA equipment school at Glynco Georgia. I got stationed at Miramar, was supposed to be 2 years, and then overseas like Guam, Rota, Kodiak, Adak, "somewhere" for the last 2 years. In '72 the govt had a "deal" sort of like the recent sequester and the Navy extended a bunch of guys "wherever they were." So I ended up at Miramar for 4 years, and then got out.

Here's "some junk" from Miramar

We had a pair of "QUAD" RADAR, FPN-36, and a modernized PAR version of the old CPN-4/ MPN series which was remoted to the tower

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=318104

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=281465

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=217547

I also had a part time (as a civilian) job at the auto hobby shop there at Miramar

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=333646

Thanks for the story, musta been a hell of a sound that engine coming apart. You gave us a great story and "Columbo" too.

Thanks for the story, musta been a hell of a sound that engine coming apart. You gave us a great story and "Columbo" too.

To tell you the truth I don't remember it being all that "exciting." I feel REAL lucky that the oil and antifreeze didn't put us on the roof or some other antics.

When I pulled the engine, I removed the valve covers, distributor and intake and literally threw the rest into the dumpster.

To get the car on the road I found an oil using 67 440 with the "good" heads (didn't know it then) with cast adjustable rockers. I later re-ringed and freshened up that engine, and it ended up in a friends 74? Dodge shorty 1/2 ton 4x4 later

Before leaving the navy, that 440 went into my black 64, and I swapped a 340 into the RR. That is something Ma SHOULD have done. A 340 was an EXCELLENT combo in a B body. Ran with stock 383, and got 17.5 mpg doing it.

Great story. Spent 10 years as a Nav Aids tech in the RCAF, mostly FPN-36 and TRN-17 tacan.

Nothing like a bit of carnage. Helped a neighbor decades ago. He had a 67 Cheby 2, been a drag car it's hole life. Motor was a 377", destroyed 400. Teddy liked pushing parts. 2 Bolt block, wrecking yard crank (from another friends yard). Factory "pink" rods. Gigantic cam, 2 home built Holleys on top of a tunnel ram. 8" converter. Had a Hamburger pan with the linkage running thru it. Spinning every bit of close to 9k on the top end. One pass, about the 1200' mark there was a big bang...gigantic cloud of smoke. Luckily he managed to keep it off the wall. Lifted the hood off, holy hell. Both side of the bottom of the block were MIA. Had a valve stem sticking thru the side of the intake. Found a chunk of what looked to be a rod laying on the brake lines. This was the beginning of us keeping track of how many runs the bottom end had. Good times...

Great story. Spent 10 years as a Nav Aids tech in the RCAF, mostly FPN-36 and TRN-17 tacan.

No kiddin. I didn't go to TACAN school, and we were pretty overloaded with techs at Miramar. Consequently the guys trained on TACAN carried most of the load. We did help maintain it. The old TACAN site I used to "know" is still there, I don't know if it's active. The Marines have poured concrete over where our old shop was.

The 36's were great little RADARs and were never intended for full time use. Ours were hard stand mounted. It was alleged we had the tripods stored somewhere, I never saw them.

I was nearly wiped off the TACAN tower by a "crab" crane truck driver who came into the pad, did a "yuie" and smacked the side of the tower with the stick. I was ready to kill myself a driver!!

I don't remember the designator of our TACAN, they were older "all tube" units from shipboard service. There were two switchable units for reliability.

Oh, man. NOT. Winter and other stuff. Got the 98 Ranger together again after 2-3 years, just in time for winter. Got the farmall plow on just in time. Got the transmixer hung back up in the "White Whale." It's not "finished" but it's mated to the engine.

And bought some EQ heads. If I can get the WW back on the ground running, I'll start on the 360 for the Dart.

Late this afternoon I got an old heater rigged up under the tarp under the Dodge (on the hoist) as well as a torpedo LP heater which I can "aim" into the front LOL

This week is gonna be COLD. Work will be slow with these old fingers!!!

http://www.kxly.com/weather

Attachments

• wx.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 207
These days you could NEVER leave a 70 RR on the side of the road unattended. .........

Trippy story....I enjoyed it....as long as it's not me!

Jeff

These days you could NEVER leave a 70 RR on the side of the road unattended. .........

Trippy story....I enjoyed it....as long as it's not me!

Jeff

Actually we were a bit concerned about it back then!!! After all, I didn't REALLY know the "drunk" station operators!!!

That was awesome, Del. Thanks man.

Attachments

• Westley.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 184
  • Westley2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 189
No kiddin. I didn't go to TACAN school, and we were pretty overloaded with techs at Miramar. Consequently the guys trained on TACAN carried most of the load. We did help maintain it. The old TACAN site I used to "know" is still there, I don't know if it's active. The Marines have poured concrete over where our old shop was.

The 36's were great little RADARs and were never intended for full time use. Ours were hard stand mounted. It was alleged we had the tripods stored somewhere, I never saw them.

I was nearly wiped off the TACAN tower by a "crab" crane truck driver who came into the pad, did a "yuie" and smacked the side of the tower with the stick. I was ready to kill myself a driver!!

I don't remember the designator of our TACAN, they were older "all tube" units from shipboard service. There were two switchable units for reliability.

Might have been the ARN-52, I think the next was ARN-84 and much later the ARN-118. Tacan techs were a dime a dozen at Whidbey, Barbers Pt. too, I did IFF and Radios primarily. I remember seeing your tower horror story in another post, if you didn't kill that guy you did good.

, I did IFF and Radios primarily. I remember seeing your tower horror story in another post, if you didn't kill that guy you did good.

In the Navy, (when I was in) the split ETs into radar or comm somewhere in the ET-A school (Treasure Island) From that point we didn't go to school together and were separated, other than "off" time. At the time I was already a licensed radio amateur, and thought I wanted communications. I'm happy now, the way things worked out, that I got RADAR.

When I got to Miramar, the comm section of the Ground Electronics division was in a building over by the golf course. We rarely went over there!!! We had our own little shop out by the far end of the runways, and NObody ever bothered us out there. At the time, the base maps had the building number on the far edge of the map, (K-274) but the building was "off the map!!!"

The upshot of all this is that I got ZERO experience on comm gear. I would have been ill prepared to be sent out "in the fleet" on a ship.

Division command made a lame effort to broaden the interaction between the different factions at one time, but it happened that at that time we were doing a bunch of equipment upgrades, and trying to do that as well as cross train simply did not work well. Poor timing. At some point "division" abandoned that idea.

Might have been the ARN-52,.

Way too new, LMAO. I Googled a bit as I don't really remember. Probably more like URN-3

coit.es/foro/pub/ficheros/tacan26_2d94a79b.pdf

5220006416_39f8a4eef4_z.jpg

Stories like this is why a numbers match is so hard to find now. These were just normal everyday cars for the first 10 to 15 years. I remember back in the 80`s when people were almost giving them away.

Stories like this is why a numbers match is so hard to find now. These were just normal everyday cars for the first 10 to 15 years. I remember back in the 80`s when people were almost giving them away.

"And I did."

Somewhere in the late 70's / very early 80's I sold the old V code with a 360 short block and early 273 commando heads and intake to "some kid." I think I got about 2K--2500 out of it. This was in the '70's gas crunch. Still had the 4 speed and Dana, and "hang on" AC unit.

I knew the family. It didn't take him long..........

first to start lies.........

One night I came across him and a group of guys standing around........

"Yeh' we marked out a quarter and it definately runs 12's. It will sometimes get the tires off the ground."

I told him "the only time that car every had the front tires off the ground was on a JACK."

============================

Then one night his brother told me the kid had destroyed the "possi." Evidently he'd got drunk, stuck, or both, got one tire up on the pavement and the other down in the mud, and spun the thing until he burned up the clutches in the Dana.

=============================

Finally the car just "ceased to exist." By that time I'd moved here, and didn't see them much. I never found out what happened. I always figured it probably envolved drunkeness and hit and run. His brother once told me "we think it's over a cliff somewhere." Years later (about 10 ago) I ran across his brother, and he STILL would not admit to me whatever happened to that car.

At one time I had the VIN written down in the old shop manual, but the first few pages are now gone, tattered, torn.

-
Back