tick-tick-tick-tick

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
so the duster has been running a bit rough, not as powerful as it should, sometimes backfiring on shifts, and getting hard to start once warmed up

I figured id check the simple things first, and took apart the fuel filter
found a little bit of crud in there, but not bad for running a fuel tan that is almost half a century old

put it all back together and fired it up
ran pretty decent but idled a little low, and now I heard little tick-tick-tick-tick over the engine
seemed like it was coming from the wiper motor area
so I started looking and found that the coil wire wasn't properly on the distributor and was arching to pass the spark

our course the post is pretty worn out and the cap will need to be replaced (its the female post style)

but I was able to plug it back on and it runs soo much smoother now

I never liked that style of plug connector. No positive "click" to know it's on correctly

Your post reminded me of this, probably the same exact sound...

There it is

Upon further investigation, it appears the coil wire was on backwards (it had a recessed electrode on one side, an exposed one on the other side)
When I swapped the old wires onto the new cap, I noticed the electrodes were different from the coil wire, and that is probably why it didnt stay put in the first place

20190820_105824.jpg

There it is

Upon further investigation, it appears the coil wire was on backwards (it had a recessed electrode on one side, an exposed one on the other side)
When I swapped the old wires onto the new cap, I noticed the electrodes were different from the coil wire, and that is probably why it didnt stay put in the first place

View attachment 1715381938

I like the Male terminal caps too, but I ran plenty of those belden/standard ignition brass terminal caps and never had a problem. That's a new to me seeing the crown splayed out far enough to straddle the tower.
One thing that did suck was some brand cables had too tight and shallow a coil side boot. I would always slip another on from a Toyota or something deeper that fit right.

Last edited:
I like the Male terminal caps too, but I ran plenty of those belden/standard ignition brass terminal caps and never had a problem. That's a new to me seeing the crown splayed out far enough to straddle the tower.
One this that did suck was some brand cables had too tight and shallow a coil side boot. I would always slip another on from a Toyota or something deeper that fit right.

im convinced I did this to myself
the electrode for the coilside is recessed, and I didn't noticed it when I first put it on (a few years back)
at the time, everything was new and I didn't realize it didn't "fit"
when I swapped it around this time, the electrode was poking out like it should, and I could hear it "click" home

(but next time I need wires, ill grab a male cap aswell anyway)

-
Back