Time to play "Which Color Windlace is it?"

-

Stumpy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I ordered a sample of door seal for my Pearl White/Gold interior 1965 Dart in the color I thought it was and it's wrong.

Good thing I just didn't order. Colored one's can't be returned apparently.

Has anyone done the windlace in this color combo? Which is the right one?

IMG_4767.jpeg

IMG_4765.jpeg

Image.jpeg

I think you have the right one based on the pic provided. I think you may be forgetting how much the original may have faded over its life. UV does wonderful things to bleach out colors in the interior.
I’m not forgetting. The original windlace is in good shape and UV fade would be less in hidden areas and tucked in portions of windlace. It is not the right color. It’s more brown.

I’m not forgetting. The original windlace is in good shape and UV fade would be less in hidden areas and tucked in portions of windlace. It is not the right color. It’s more brown.
Makes sense.

Just hard to judge by the pics on a computer screen.

The Champagne one maybe?

The sample is green/gold, right? Sand/fawn looks closer to me, but what do I know, I’m colorblind.

Maybe best to have them send you multiple samples of the colors you believe to be a close match.

Who did you order it from? The pattern isn't a match either. It just may be the only one available.

The color looks very acceptable to me.

You should compare it to a section that’s been hidden from the light of day like under the sill plate or behind the kick plate.

Wouldn't the interior color code be on the fender tag?

I think you have the right one based on the pic provided. I think you may be forgetting how much the original may have faded over its life. UV does wonderful things to bleach out colors in the interior.
That was my first thought. even without direct sunlight, some fading can still occur.

Also back in the day they likely did not get parts from one supplier so interior color varied even when they were new.

Also back in the day they likely did not get parts from one supplier so interior color varied even when they were new.
That's exactly how you can tell if an interior is original or not. If it's all the same shade, it's likely been restored. Original interiors had different shades of the same color.

It's probably returnable if you don' like the color, don't chop it up, and reorder from the same company.

I ordered a sample of door seal for my Pearl White/Gold interior 1965 Dart in the color I thought it was and it's wrong.

Good thing I just didn't order. Colored one's can't be returned apparently.

Has anyone done the windlace in this color combo? Which is the right one?

View attachment 1716152888

View attachment 1716152889

View attachment 1716152890
IF you are looking for a direct match for 60 year old windlace , unless you get it from SMS and make your own it just WON'T happen. they don't make the colors to match anymore. it's all about what you can find that's closest. I work in a leather custom trim shop and have to hand make windlace for Lincolns, finding correct colors is next to impossible and we they to get as close as possible. and it you think that's a chore wait till you try to match vinyl or leather to originals. and I pity people who own a green car that need green loop carpet. Since ACC and all the others (yes ,dorset industries who makes 99% of all auto carpeting) stopped most gold and green products decades ago.

-
Back