Timing advance

-

COUDA

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I have got 318 engine in my 1968 Barracuda.I want to install 340 camshaft in place of stock cam.
Now my engine have 7° BTDC with the vacuum line to the distributor disconnected.How many degrées my engine need with this new camshaft?
Thanks.

Probably going to have to recurve the distributor to 340 specs.

[QUOTE = "66fyssh, post: 1971862790, membre: 30978"] J'aime toujours l'idée d'un 68 Barracuda roulant à travers la campagne française !! :pouces vers le haut:[/CITATION]
I still love the thought of a 68 Barracuda rolling through the French countryside!! :thumbsup:

Thank you and I am proud to drive.

I wouldnt worry about distributor right now. Pick a PROPER cam and go from there.
Welcome aboard!
Yes but I read this:"The first performance enhancement you do on a stock 318 is to install the (factory) 340/360 H.P. cam (or equivalent). With stock heads, 2Bbl carb and even 2.76 gears this is already a 'fun-package'. Even with 4.11 gears (and street tires)

The FIRST 5 feet that the car travels is the most critical. Over carburetion or a non-functioning accelerator pump will pretty much have the same effect, the car may indeed 'fall on its face'. You will benefit from a quicker advance curve in the distributor and enough initial lead to give about 36 degrees max. A dist with 13 inside will double to 26 degrees on the crank then you can set the 'static' to 10."
And I don't understand before"The FIRST 5..."

Lots more knowledgeable members here with engines than me. In my opinion get the engine built and you can add or modify or change the distributor as needed. You dont build an engine around the distributor.

Lots more knowledgeable members here with engines than me. In my opinion get the engine built and you can add or modify or change the distributor as needed. You dont build an engine around the distributor.
It's true but I take this opportunity to deepen my knowledge.
Thank you.

Probably about 15 initial and 35-36 total would be a good curve to go after. All in at 2800-3000ish.

Probably about 15 initial and 35-36 total would be a good curve to go after. All in at 2800-3000ish.

I think that would be a great start, and then tune from there.
The 340 cam isn't so much different as to make any major changes, and if the distributor is now, or needs to be mechanically limited for your total then ya gotta do it.
We have a stock 318 .030 over with a 68 340 grind cam with a two barrel and single exhaust and it's timed just like the others. (12 initial and limited to 34 total all in by 2,500) and it starts and runs really nice.
Vacuum advance adds 18 more.

Piggybacked your post Rob.

I think that would be a great start, and then tune from there.
The 340 cam isn't so much different as to make any major changes, and if the distributor is now, or needs to be mechanically limited for your total then ya gotta do it.
We have a stock 318 .030 over with a 68 340 grind cam with a two barrel and single exhaust and it's timed just like the others. (12 initial and limited to 34 total all in by 2,500) and it starts and runs really nice.
Vacuum advance adds 18 more.

Piggybacked your post Rob.

Thank you for his advice. Bruno.

-
Back