timing chain

-

reddishdsb

Reaction score
i got a fp double roller for my 71 440 and the crank gear i can put on by hand.
is this ok or not?

The crank gear requires no force at all to put it on, I can slide it all the way on by hand.

The gear should! be a press fit clearance.Now does it have enough clearance that you can move it side to side?or is their alot of clearance,as the gear should be tight on the crank.Is there any damage to the keyway or woodruff key,or the crank?mrmopartech

The gear set is a speed pro cts3104r the old gear was tight there does not look like any damage to crank or keyway, but the new gear will go on by hand
and it does have the slightest of movement.

come on guys need some help, this is where i am at on building this 440.

If its an easy push on by hand and you want to tighten it up, put some red lock tite on the inside of the gear and crank mating area and slip it on, finish installing the cover slinger and damper an tighten it all together asap. When the loctite sets it will hold it without wobbling, and besides after you have the slinger and the damper on there with the bolt tightened down it wont move at all. It will likely be a SOB to remove in the future.

The shop was doing a stroker for a fellow, and ran into a crank snout that was slightly undersize. They used a Permatex product but not loctite..I cant recall what it was. It seems to be fine, they havent heard back...

You can also try a new key way. Sometimes the old one is a tad worn...

-
Back