-
Status
Not open for further replies.

poisondart64

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
OK. Help me out fellow 273 fanatics. When cleaning up my 45 year old timing cover during the rebuild, I discovered a small hole. Any leads on anyone that makes a reproduction of these? My machine shop said they could use JB Weld and fix it, but there is some interior corrosion as well and I don't want to ruin my rebuild by going cheap. Thoughts please?

After the machine shop boiled mine, I was horrified to find how badly corroded it was. A 318 cover has timing marks on the other side of the motor, that was my last resort. A friend of mine who welds aluminum welded extra material at the inlet and outlet for a case of Corona. With some stones, rotary rasps, and a common drill, I cleaned the excess globs of weld. Then I took it back to the machine shop who resurfaced for me for $20. Turned out nice. Only hard part was the continued grinding to make sure the water pump impeller cleared.

Barracuda 102.jpg

Barracuda 103.jpg

CUDA TIMING COVER 003.jpg

CUDA TIMING COVER 004.jpg

CUDA TIMING COVER 005.jpg

Mine looks a lot like that and has a few pin holes all the way through. Hey, Crackedback, I sent you a PM to check on your part. Thanks for the feedback guys.

PS: Clifftt - that cover did turn out nice. Great work.

I found my extra one in the garage but I'm afraid it isn't in any better shape than the one you've got. It didn't look like it had holes in it but the water outlets to the block are allmost corroded through. Looks like I'll be looking for one of those myself (or reconditioning mine)I've got a couple of customers that do great tig work. toolman

I know its unrelated, but if you need an intake manifold for an early 273 (different angle bolt holes) I have a very good condition Offenhouser 360 if you want. I bought it advertised as a later 273 that shares the pattern with the 318's, but its an early one that doesn't. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

THANKS!!!!! Big thanks to barracudakid for coming up with a great looking timing cover and to 72bluNblu for the early 273 intake. The intake was a nice surprise. What a great website!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back