timing help

-

rm69dart

Reaction score
need help on this timimg issue. timing set on 8 before but it jumps hi and low like 3 numbers at idel. its a 340 with ld340 intake, 1406 carb, 360 heads, mild cam, just built motor. where do i start looking. thanks

Could be a issue with the centrifugal advance parts but... 8 btc is waaay to low anyway. You will need about 16 btc base with todays fuel.

Could be a LOT of things

Pull cap, put wrench on front of crank, and work back/ forth, note how far balancer moves before rotor moves.

As above, check distributor/ intermediate bushing/ shaft for wear

TRY a different timing light

Disconnect vacuum if you have not

Breaker points? Mopar breakerless? What kind of distributor we workin' with.

its breakerless proform distribuitor. had it on a 318. yes i know not a very good quality distribuitor. this engine is a complete rebuild any recomendations on a distribuitor for this build? this a weekend car not a racer. took it out today and got a best in show trophy at a local car show. just keeping a bodies alive.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I would not immediately assume that the distributor is the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

67Dart273; !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I would not immediately assume that the distributor is the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 out of 10 times it is the Distributor jumping around in the slot. So it would be safe to assume or to LOOK in that area first. This is a brand new engine so the timing set more than likely will not be the problem. In this case I would bet 100% that it is the distributor. Been there done that.

So because someone wants to bet with your money that you need a new distributor, you are just going to go buy one?

Seems to me we already covered "spending other peoples money on the internet"

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't read it like MadDart said he needs a new distributor. He said it could be jumping up and down in the slot and recommended the Hughes dist. collar that costs $5.

hey mad dart this bushing from hughes. does the intake manifold have to come out to install.

The picture shows it like that but you can do it without taking the intake off. It will take some measuring from the top of the oil pump drive to the top of the block. Then transfer that measurement over to your distributor shaft allowing the .010 gap they recommend. Pretty straight forward and simple.
Be sure to use some Loctite on the allen when you do it and make sure the allen is TIGHT and Secure........

So because someone wants to bet with your money that you need a new distributor, you are just going to go buy one?

Seems to me we already covered "spending other peoples money on the internet"

Well I never said to buy a new Distributor. You are taking me out of context.

I have used the Hughes Collar with success several times in this situation and it only cost a whole $5.00 which is alot less than a distributor.

Also 67Dart273, I know you are a very sharp guy and knowledgable on alot of different things and help alot of people out for sure. Any post I put up is not in any way derogatory toward you. I am just giving advise based on my personal experience that is first hand from me, that worked for me, and that is it.

OK, fair 'nough. You said you'd "bet 100% that it is the distributor" so I took it you were dismissing all other problems. Of course it COULD be, and even probable as these dist.s are certainly a problem area from time to time.

Sometimes I get "old and cranky" But I never have liked arbitrarily throwing parts at a problem.

OK, fair 'nough. You said you'd "bet 100% that it is the distributor" so I took it you were dismissing all other problems. Of course it COULD be, and even probable as these dist.s are certainly a problem area from time to time.

Sometimes I get "old and cranky" But I never have liked arbitrarily throwing parts at a problem.

Well on occasion I have been known to be 100% Wrong too! Lol :D

First thing before spending any money... up the idle timing, reset the carb and see if your timing scatter issue clears up. I bet it does MUCH better at 14-16 initial than it does at 8! You'll have to fix the mechanical so your total number isn't out of bounds.

Any kind of cam, I'd idle it at a minimum of about 750 in P/N

First thing before spending any money... up the idle timing, reset the carb and see if your timing scatter issue clears up. I bet it does MUCH better at 14-16 initial than it does at 8! You'll have to fix the mechanical so your total number isn't out of bounds.

Any kind of cam, I'd idle it at a minimum of about 750 in P/N

See someone is out to prove me wrong already!! haaaa:D

Just messin Rob!

well moved timing and did carb ajustment, samething timing jumping, also checked for crank to rotor play none and disconnected vacuum. using different timing light today.

well moved timing and did carb ajustment, samething timing jumping, also checked for crank to rotor play none and disconnected vacuum. using different timing light today.

i didnt read throuigh all the posts but couldnt you be getting a false reading if say your balancer was not fully secured and for whatever reason you didnt have a tight fit between your woodruf key and yoru ballancer causeing the balancer to move around a little bit and give a false reading? maybe check that too? i dunno just a thought

-
Back