timing on 67 273?

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
I am ready to set the timing on my 67 273 and not sure what I should set it at. It's a 273 2 barrel, automatic, Isky E-4 cam(solid), Pertronix Ignitor I ignition, stock 2 barrel exhaust. Did I read the factory service manual I have right at 8-10 degrees advance at 1750 rpms?
thanks
Aaron

Throw the manual in the trash in this case.

I'd set it in the 16-20 range and see how it does. You'll have to limit the mechanical advance in side your distributor to hit a safe total.

If you have a tachometer you can get 34 total degrees all in at 2500 rpm then go back to idle and see where it is. Kind of a backward way to go about it but works since one end effect the other. If you find the base timing is too high causing a ping or hard start, back off a 2 degrees at a try.
My 273 does fine at 14 btdc but it is all stock except for 73 Chry' ignition and dual plane intake.

I am ready to set the timing on my 67 273 and not sure what I should set it at. It's a 273 2 barrel, automatic, Isky E-4 cam(solid), Pertronix Ignitor I ignition, stock 2 barrel exhaust. Did I read the factory service manual I have right at 8-10 degrees advance at 1750 rpms?
thanks
Aaron

17* @ 1750 is too little.I have mine @ 12* initial (curb idle)...mostly stock engine, auto trans.

I would follow iskys specs for break in lash settings. call them and ask.
I would re-check the valves lash settings once the motor hits operating temp.(hot)
Then continue the break in.
I would set the total timing at 32 to 34 for the break in.
I always liked 20 to 25 minutes at 2200 rpms.
Do 10 minutes and then check the rocker arms and 10 to 15 minutes more.
Keep the engine cool....make sure you keep filling the water as it runs and the stat opens up.
Cool motor...........I always wonder if i will build my original 273.

-
Back