Tincup's 63 Dart w/5.7 Hemi

-
It's machined out of aluminum, then covered with 3m carbon fiber.

Nice work! We have a local Mopar guy who has been doing real carbon fiber wraps and they turn out great! I saw a dash cap, door panel and a sail panel for his Demon. I keep thinking of what to get done for mine, and I think your dash turned out awesome.

thanks - you got the tank complete from them?
Yes, they took a stock tank and modified it with the electric pump ($800). From what I have heard, the frame mounted pumps do not last, they burn up. But the ones in the tank last due to being imersed in gas keeps it cool.

there is no long life out of a externally mounted electric fuel pump,,you are correct the fuel keeps the pump motor windings cool in an intank electric pump.. rock auto makes a lot of in tank fuel injection conversion tanks,,but they aint cheap,,,,

I hear the mustang tanks work well. They are made to mount flush and alot of street rod guys are using them with the ford pump assembly. Might be an intersting idea for someone to save a little cash. I love the car Tincup!

I hear the mustang tanks work well. They are made to mount flush and alot of street rod guys are using them with the ford pump assembly. Might be an intersting idea for someone to save a little cash. I love the car Tincup!

i currently have some info for the early mustang tanks,non in tank pump,,old style im going to try to fit in my car to do away with the fuel cell,,gain trunk space,,and eliminate a few other things i dont like about having a fuel cell in a street car,,,
i never thought the newere mustang tanks would be flush mounted as well,,,nice piece of info

I modified my stock tank with a kit from Rock Valley it was about 350

P8160244.jpg

P5070123.jpg

I thought about cutting out the spare tire well so I could use a flush fitting tank, but my trunk was really solid so I just couldn't do it.

I know I haven't posted in a couple weeks but just to prove I wasen't slacking off, here are a couple pic's. I have been doing the body work trying to get ready for paint. As of right now, drivers side is done, along with the pass fender and trunklid. I'm working on the hood right now, that is going to take a little work, lot's of dents. I don't think Ma Mopar was too fussy when it came to the body back in 63, especially on their little old Dart. I even bought myself an early Fathers Day present.:cheers:

Picture 134.jpg

Picture 133.jpg

Picture 135.jpg

Picture 136.jpg

Picture 137.jpg

Hello Tin, great job on the project! Have you been machine sanding to bare metal or did you do media blasting? Let us know how that new compressor keeps up with the sanders. I've got a 65 Valiant wagon to strip and I'm up in the air about media blasting or machine sanding. I media blasted my Dart GT years ago and it was about 1200 doing the entire body with it in pieces. I now here it's about 1500-1800 to do a complete strip down and was debating machine sanding to save money. I know it will take time, but trying to save some money on this build. Jayson

Looks good Tin. Are you going to skim the entire hood with filler? I love the G2 Featherfill polyester primer. That works wonders if you don't plan on skimming the entire hood or other parts. The stuff sands soooooo easy and gets things really refined quick. Seems like you are an experienced body/paint guy, I'll keep my opinions to myself and enjoy the rest of your awesome build. :)

Looks like the exact same IR compressor I have in my garage. I love it and it has worked perfect for all the painting I've been doing. Very strong compressor with plenty of CFM to run my paint guns, although it does run a fair amount while painting.

I know you've followed my build and I can surely appreciate all the great work you've been doing. Keep it up bro.

Damn, that compressor makes my 30 gal. 5hp craftsman look like a bicycle pump. Your sheet metal is coming along nicely.

Hello Tin, great job on the project! Have you been machine sanding to bare metal or did you do media blasting? Let us know how that new compressor keeps up with the sanders. I've got a 65 Valiant wagon to strip and I'm up in the air about media blasting or machine sanding. I media blasted my Dart GT years ago and it was about 1200 doing the entire body with it in pieces. I now here it's about 1500-1800 to do a complete strip down and was debating machine sanding to save money. I know it will take time, but trying to save some money on this build. Jayson

Hey Jayson, i guess it would depend on your car, mine is pretty straight with very little rust, so Except for the hood, the car had only 2 paint jobs. I used 4 1/2" stripper discs (black heavy duty scotchbrite) on my electric grinder, worked very well. On the hood ( which had 3 paint jobs) I used Mar-Hyde Talstrip paint stripper, worked great.

Looks good Tin. Are you going to skim the entire hood with filler? I love the G2 Featherfill polyester primer. That works wonders if you don't plan on skimming the entire hood or other parts. The stuff sands soooooo easy and gets things really refined quick. Seems like you are an experienced body/paint guy, I'll keep my opinions to myself and enjoy the rest of your awesome build. :)

Looks like the exact same IR compressor I have in my garage. I love it and it has worked perfect for all the painting I've been doing. Very strong compressor with plenty of CFM to run my paint guns, although it does run a fair amount while painting.

I know you've followed my build and I can surely appreciate all the great work you've been doing. Keep it up bro.

Thanks Dave, I have been following your paint work and it is absolutly perfect. The metal work from the factory is less than perfect so I have been skimming the whole panel, I don't know if FF would be enough. I will probably have Popeye arms by the time I'm done, but it will be STRAIGHT!

Tin, it's been a month and you haven't posted anything. Is it going good, or have you taken a break?

No breaks, still doing the body work, not real exciting stuff. I'm down to the last qtr panel, then it's just blocking and priming and blocking, repeat....

the joy of blocking and priming. gotta love it.

Yeah, inquiering minds want to know.

-
Back