Tinted windows??

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. I know some of you don't like tinted windows on our a-bodies but I know some of you do. So this question is for those that it does NOT mater. After all it's our car, right?
I am looking at getting my windows tinted on my 71 Swinger. I have been to a few places that tint windows, both big business and out of home garage. I'm having a hard time finding someone that is willing to tint the rear window. One guy said "take it out and I will try it. If I do good I will tint the rest of them for $300". Now I don't mind taking it out because it is leaking anyway. But to tell me to take it out for you to "TRY" don't think so.
So are there any old school window tint guys out there? Just wondering what y'all have or thinking of doing. Thanks

I tinted my own. I did the back glass on a 67 Barracuda notchback and it turned out pretty good. I did not even have to take it out, but did have to do a couple of pieces to cover the whole window. The trick is to get them to butt up as close together as you can and creatively put slits in to handle the curve of the window.

Check with your local police department on how dark is legal, or you will get hassled by the police and made to remove any tint that violates the local ordinances. Up here, the back can be as dark as you want, but you must be able to see in the side door windows.

guess is the curve is probably scaring him a bit, as well as the slope of it. i would not be letting any one remove a window to "try" and tint it, leaking or not. any chance of the leak being caused by rust? if so, is it in the plans to fix it? or is your car like mine, no rust, new glass/gasket and it still leaks after several attempts at getting it to stop? i lived in AZ for 15 years or so and every vehicle I ever had the windows tinted on were all done in one piece......

I was going to ask the girl who did my Stealth (she did a great job- took a while to heat stretch/shrink the tint, but that's to be expected) about doing my Scamp, but I never did.
A good tinter (and I mean good with the heat gun) should be able to do it, but I bet they'd have to mold the tint to the inside of the glass, instead of the outside like they usually do. Therefore, taking it out would pretty much be a must.
The sides would be a piece of cake, being flat glass.

When I did my Duster years ago, I did the rear window in horizontal strips- there's alway that, but it's nowhere near as nice as a well-done heatshrunk piece.

btw, I took the rear window out of my '66 mustang way back when to tint it, and it does make it a whole lot easier.

I live in a large city so it wasn't hard to find a good tint shop. The early Barracuda rear window is considered to be a difficult job but they did a good job. They did it out of the car. Maybe you should keep looking.

There is a website called tintdude that gives an interesting look into the world of window tinting.

That rear window isnt that bad. If they are scared to do it find another shop. They should be able to shirink that window no problem. I also wont do loose glass out of my shop because its easily scratch while being reinstalled.

$300 is about what I would charge.

I paid $100.00 for all 5 windows, took him about 25 mins to do the back window with 1 sheet of material. He wasnt the slightest bit intimidated about it, if they are afraid, then I would go elsewhere. Professional tinter doing it on the side, otherwise would be about $300.00.

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments. So I can expect it to cost about $300. I am thinking of trying it myself as I have done everything to the car but the vinyl top.
Ink, I had the glass out last year when I painted it, new seals and I have tried to fix the leak a few times. last time was leaking between the glass and seal. This time between the body and the seal. both on the lower right side. So now I keep it in the garage anytime it supposed to rain. This winter I plan on taking it out and try to get it to seal. So I may wait and tint when/after I fix the leak.
Again thanks for the help.

I didn't do the tint on these, but whoever did it was nice job.
No bubbles or loose material anywhere.
All one peice on all windows with really dark on the quarters and rear.
Lighter on the front sides.

Attachments

• tint.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 185
-
Back